Topics that apply to all 92-95 civics
By suspendedHatch
#243644 This is an extremely easy adjustment to make if you have the proper tool. But almost no one is even aware of the necessity of this and so that is my purpose in creating this "how-to".

The manual and power steering racks of 92-95 Civics and 90-01 Integras (and possibly EFs and EKs) have a rack guide screw that needs to be adjusted periodically. All of our cars need this adjustment because it almost certainly hasn't been done since the warranty expired. Performing this adjustment takes the slop out of our steering racks.

The locknut is a 40mm at an odd angle with a narrow gap between the rack and the front crossmember. The only way to get to it is with a special locknut wrench made by Honda. Part number is 07AAA-TL2A100 or 07916-SA50001 and it runs about $20. It's a special order.

All you need besides a jack and jackstands is the locknut wrench and a 14mm wrench. Neither the locknut or the 14mm bolt are particularly tight. No torque wrench is needed since you can't get one in there anyway.

Put the front of the car on jackstands and straighten the steering wheel. Loosen the locknut and hold it while you break loose the 14mm. Then tighten the 14mm until you feel it seat inside the rack (get tight).

Back off the 14mm and then tighten it with one finger. The spec is 3 ft.lbs - 20 degrees which is like nothing. Then tighten the locknut. The spec is 18 ft/lbs which isn't a lot. Test the steering by rolling the wheel all the way in each direction, give it a test drive, and that's it.
Last edited by suspendedHatch on Wed Jun 20, 2012 2:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
By Classiccarsrule85
#243671 ive been feeling slop in my rack as well with my ef ill see if this is the same writeups awesome of coarse lol! going to buy me a tool shortly then lol
By ImThaBean
#243786 This sounds like a simple but very important/effective DIY. Plus you get to buy a tool! :thumb:
By Eg6H2D
suspendedHatch wrote:This is an extremely easy adjustment to make if you have the proper tool. But almost no one is even aware of the necessity of this and so that is my purpose in creating this "how-to".

The manual and power steering racks of 92-95 Civics and 90-01 Integras (and possibly EFs and EKs) have a rack guide screw that needs to be adjusted periodically. All of our cars need this adjustment because it almost certainly hasn't been done since the warranty expired. Performing this adjustment takes the slop out of our steering racks.

The locknut is a 40mm at an odd angle with a narrow gap between the rack and the front crossmember. The only way to get to it is with a special locknut wrench made by Honda. Part number is 07AAA-TL2A100 or 07916-SA50001 and it runs about $20. It's a special order.

All you need besides a jack and jackstands is the locknut wrench and a 14mm wrench. Neither the locknut or the 14mm bolt are particularly tight. No torque wrench is needed since you can't get one in there anyway.

Put the front of the car on jackstands and straighten the steering wheel. Loosen the locknut and hold it while you break loose the 14mm. Then tighten the 14mm until you feel it seat inside the rack (get tight).

Back off the 14mm and then tighten it with one finger. The spec is 3 ft.lbs - 20 degrees which is like nothing. Then tighten the locknut. The spec is 18 ft/lbs which isn't a lot. Test the steering by rolling the wheel all the way in each direction, give it a test drive, and that's it.

Ohhh Emmmm Geeee. suspended i so need this!!! Thanks Alot!!!!!!!!

U da Mannn!~!! :thumb: :thumb:
By Eg6H2D
suspendedHatch wrote:You're welcome?

So which will tighten the rack the 14mm or the 40mm the tool from honda? ?
By suspendedHatch
#244693 You need both. The 40mm is the locknut and the 14mm is the adjustment spring. You loosen and then hold the locknut, tighten the 14mm, then hold the 14mm in place while you retighten the locknut.
By Eg6H2D
suspendedHatch wrote:You need both. The 40mm is the locknut and the 14mm is the adjustment spring. You loosen and then hold the locknut, tighten the 14mm, then hold the 14mm in place while you retighten the locknut.

Gotcha!!
By ImThaBean
#259407 Just a FYI for everyone. Honda discontinued the wrench. So unless your dealership or their warehouse network has one in stock, you won't be able to buy it from them, learned that the hard way today. So you'll have to scour the net to find a online dealer that has one. that where I'm at now.
By teal_dx
ImThaBean wrote:Just a FYI for everyone. Honda discontinued the wrench. So unless your dealership or their warehouse network has one in stock, you won't be able to buy it from them, learned that the hard way today. So you'll have to scour the net to find a online dealer that has one. that where I'm at now.

That sucks... I wish I got one the first time I read this [smilie=BangHead.gif]
Is this adjustment for power AND manual racks?
By ImThaBean
#259469 Yeah, me too. As for manual vs P/S. I looked at the rack in the parts diagram and it looks like its manual only for the adjustment. I may be wrong but I didn't find the adjusting bolt/nut on the power rack.

*Side note:
I did find that you can buy 40mm thin wrenches to do the adjustment. they range from $20-50. So if you can't find the Honda wrench, you can buy a wrench to do the job. It may not be as easy since it's a basic open box wrench but it'll do the trick.
By suspendedHatch
#259552 It's for manual and power racks. The photos are of a DC. It's for all Honda and Acura racks from EFs to DCs, including EGs, DAs, and EKs. I haven't verified 7th gen Civics.

I literally just bought that wrench a week before doing the write up in March of this year. There are two part numbers. Try both. Initially they told me it was discontinued, but then they came back and said Honda is making them again.

To do this with a box wrench you'll need to remove more parts.
By suspendedHatch
#259617 I could probably send it to my brother and have him make copies. I'm not sure if he's willing to do it if it's just 2-3.
By Eg6H2D
#259620 Ill check the dealer out here.. if not im in for making the wrench!! =]