Topics that apply to all 92-95 civics
By eg_infamous
#70276 So I've disconnected everything (hoses, wires,plugs,sensors,etc) from my engine as Im goin to drop it out for a rebuild. But Im stuck on the axles. The axle nuts are off and the shock forks are off. Theres 3 ball joints around for each side (upper CA, lower CA and the steering). The nuts are all loosened I just cant seem to break any one of the joints loose. I've searched around but haven't found anything. Anybody got any tips??
By SOHCivegra
#70279 If you can get the upper ball joint out you will be able to take out the axle.
Undo the shock/coil assembly and have someone hold it while you give a good whack at the end of the axle to get it out of the hub.
Should be as easy as that.
Taking it out of the trans you can do with just a pry bar or big screw driver.
By d-mon
#70324 only need to separate lower ball joint at lca.
jack up lca, stick a craftsman ratchet - handle end (perfect size) - between lca and spindle, remove jack, kick down on the hub.
simple easy and effective.
By SOHCivegra
d-mon wrote:only need to separate lower ball joint at lca.
jack up lca, stick a craftsman ratchet - handle end (perfect size) - between lca and spindle, remove jack, kick down on the hub.
simple easy and effective.

We just do our version backwards of each other. Hahahaha, as long as it works.
By SOHCivegra
teal_dx wrote:I unbolt the upper control arm & strut from the top of the shock tower. I have bad luck separating ball joints :oops:

See I tried that and just found it difficult to hold the whole strut and hub assembly while trying to give the axle a whack.
But yes my first time doing it I was leary about pulling the ball joint as well. But being how anal I am I replace my ball joints every year anyway because of how hard I am on the suspension auto crossing the car and all. I figure at $60 for all, I'm in good shape to just replace rather than worry.
By sdots
#70400 Remove castle nut for lower ball joint

wack the balljoint loose

have a friend hold the hub assembly outwards to the vehicle.

take a crowbar and wedge the inner C.V joint out of the tranny

and it should pop out nice and easy from there on :)

3 simple steps. Just ensure your lower ball joint is in fairly decent condition and use a some mallet or copper hammer :)