General engine questions/issues that aren't specific to the other categories
By teal_dx
#10925 1992 d15b7 auto dx w/ d16z6 manual swap. Y8 intake manifold. engine is rebuilt and all internals (except crank) are new.

my car is coming along, it starts when I turn the key- as long as the engine is not warm.
When started cold, it will idle fine at around 1100-1200 RPM. After it starts to get warm, the idle goes up and down about a hundred RPM, but not constantly. Just a little here and there.

Once the temperature gauge starts to move up from Cold, the idle will start to get weak, and bog down like it's about to die.

the warmer the engine gets, the worse it gets. Before the temp needle gets to the middle of the gauge, it will bog down so much that it sputters out.

If I give it gas, it is fine. I can hold the throttle at 1200 RPM and it will never bog down or sputter, but as soon as I take my foot off the gas, it stalls.

There are no Check engine lights. I cleaned the IACV and I have the coolant lines going to it, as well as the throttle body.

I followed the manual to adjust the idle by unplugging the IACV, but it stalls right away as soon as I take my foot off the gas. (procedure is to hold the gas pedal @ 1000RPM until the idle levels itself out, then go adjust the screw on the throttle body)

Fuel pressure is 42 psi.

I have replaced the plugs, wires, and 02 sensor, battery. Tried a different Distributor.

It was constantly running crappy before, so I replaced the 1992 throttle body w/ firewall mounted MAP, with a D16 throttle body that has the MAP mounted directly on the throttle body. This took me a while to figure out, and helped a lot. Now the car only idles bad when it gets warm.

I'm not sure what to try next.... any ideas?
By ChicagoMike
#10926 You seem to have a similar problem to me. The warmer my engine gets, the richer my AF is.

When I first start my car the AF is @13.9 at idle. 20 mins later I'm idleing piss rich at 11.6. If I continue to drive eventually it stalls at every light. I blame the tune on my AEM, and will be working it out with Hondata soon.

Try your Crome, and lean it out at idle, thats about all I can think of right now.
By teal_dx
#10927 right now I'm running a virgin P28. The P28 chipped for CROME won't be used until I get the turbo on and take it to the tuner. It doesn't even have a D16z6 basemap on it right now and that's something I have no clue how to do. :?
I suppose I could do that, but I'd really like to figure out the root of the problem rather than fix it with a band aid ya know? I've sunk alot of time/$$$$ in the setup and I want to be sure everything is perfect, especially when I get the turbo installed and beat the hell out of it :twisted: :woot:
By civicnation93
#11010 Not to sure myself either...it sounds like maybe AF is runnin a bit rich and Im not sure if this would matter at all but since it runs good when cold and then starts to crap out as it warms up...couldnt be the thermostat could it? I dont see how the therm would affect the idling of the car but more or less just the temp /shrug :?
By Skyu_Ivy
#11036 Did you check the fast idle thermo valve? sometimes those need to be reset and cleaned..
By teal_dx
#11056 well, I fixed it last night :woot:

First I said screw that method they tell you about unplugging your IACV to asjust your idle screw. I wasn't getting anywhere because it would stall then.
So I turned the screw a couple turns and it was getting better. So then I turned it a little more.

Then the car idled long enough to bring the temp gauge to 2/3 Hot so I shut it off and let it cool.

I boiled the thermostat in a pan and it was good. So I replaced the Thermostat temperature switch (since the car was running crappy when warm, I figured maybe it had something to do with it), and then bled the air from the cooling system.
Started it up, turned the idle screw a litle further out, and it idles and runs perfect!
By ChicagoMike
#11058 :woot: :woot: :woot: :woot: :woot: :woot: :woot:

Hell yeah teal!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :thumb:
By whiteEG
#11097 nice... way to go.. i knew you would figure it out.. you're the civic legend round here.. :woot: :woot:
By chnzgoofball
whiteEG wrote:nice... way to go.. i knew you would figure it out.. you're the civic legend round here.. :woot: :woot:

hell yeah!!! congrats!! get some pics of ure car now in other places...other then ure garage!! :thumb:
By Skyu_Ivy
#11202 Awesome :D Good to hear!
By teal_dx
chnzgoofball wrote:
hell yeah!!! congrats!! get some pics of ure car now in other places...other then ure garage!! :thumb:

http://civic-eg.com/viewtopic.php?p=11195#11195 :D