General engine questions/issues that aren't specific to the other categories
By teal_dx
#7049 The time is getting closer... I want to be sure I do everything right the first time.
I've read some things over time and put together a list of things to do:

Double check all connections & grounds (valve cover, thermostat, transmission)

Tighten Timing Belt Tensioner

Torque crank pulley (with woodruff key installed)

Add fluids (oil, tranny fluid, coolant, clutch, brake, and bleed if needed)

Remove spark plugs (to relieve compression) and crank engine by hand to lubricate engine and force air bubbles out of oil journals

Tighten spark plugs, Turn key to on position 20 times, priming the fuel pump. (to get fuel in the empty lines- avoid a dry/lean start)

Start car, let idle.

Adjust Fuel pressure to 42 psi.

check for any signs of vacuum leaks

Remove radiator cap and check for bubbles in the coolant system (as engine vibrates, coolant settles into air pockets)

after 10 minutes of idling, shut car off and change oil filter and oil.

Assuming your ecu isn't throwing any codes, take it easy and start breaking in the motor.

Sounds pretty straight forward... what do you all think? Is there something important I'm missing from this list? I'm going to print this out in a couple weeks and have it in front of me when I do this.

One thing I'm unsure of with the coolant... do I just fill the radiator, and will it will go into the block after I start the car? Or should I get a funnel and pour it into the block somehow through one of the hose openings?
Right now the motor is completely dry.
By ChicagoMike
#7050 The radiator will push it into the block. As your filling the radiator, squeeze the top radiator hose with your hand. This will help to push the fluid into the block.
By ohDirka
#7054 got everything i can think of on the list....
By chnzgoofball
#7076 i think u pretty much covered everything i can think of...
By Jsa-SIR2
#7079 dont forget the key :lol: :lol:
By vtec_gloucester
#7089 getting excited for ya :D

ou gunna capture the magical moment on video?
By vtec_gloucester
#7094 cool. what is the ETA then???
By ohDirka
#7095 ill bring some brews to celebrate lol :cheers:
By Greasedmonkey
#7099 For the break in period. Take it all the way throught the RPM range with a nice and steady foot. Dont floor it or baby it. Dont shift it at 3000 rpms. Take it all the way. Put some load on the motor. it seats the rings better and you will get more power out of it. You do this for about 20 minutes, taking it through all the gears all the way to redline, then change the oil again. After that, push it a little harder, but in the same manor as before. then change the oil yet again. After that you should be fine to romp on it as you please.
By vtec_gloucester
#7107 never heard of that method before? ^^^
By LaMbErT*
#7109 i likey :) Nice little write up, and i wanna see vids and pics of the baby when its done!
By Thateguhate
Greasedmonkey wrote:For the break in period. Take it all the way throught the RPM range with a nice and steady foot. Dont floor it or baby it. Dont shift it at 3000 rpms. Take it all the way. Put some load on the motor. it seats the rings better and you will get more power out of it. You do this for about 20 minutes, taking it through all the gears all the way to redline, then change the oil again. After that, push it a little harder, but in the same manor as before. then change the oil yet again. After that you should be fine to romp on it as you please.

I was scared to do this.... Everyone had such different opinions on how to do it I just kept my revs under 4k the first 1000 miles and ripped on it after that... haha
By vtec_gloucester
Thateguhate wrote:
Greasedmonkey wrote:For the break in period. Take it all the way throught the RPM range with a nice and steady foot. Dont floor it or baby it. Dont shift it at 3000 rpms. Take it all the way. Put some load on the motor. it seats the rings better and you will get more power out of it. You do this for about 20 minutes, taking it through all the gears all the way to redline, then change the oil again. After that, push it a little harder, but in the same manor as before. then change the oil yet again. After that you should be fine to romp on it as you please.

I was scared to do this.... Everyone had such different opinions on how to do it I just kept my revs under 4k the first 1000 miles and ripped on it after that... haha

now that ^^^ ive heard of.

keep it at low RPM's for at least 500 miles then give it shit. lol