General engine questions/issues that aren't specific to the other categories
By DannyCraQ
#48896 Whats the normal car idle for hondas?

right now when i start mine up, it goes to 1500, but then settles down around 1250

im assuming its supposed to be 1000 and and settles around 750

is there a way to fix this? :thumb:

also, dont have the o2 sensor in still, i need to get a new one, my original one burnt out.

would that help it?
By asianrob
#48901 clean the IAC

normal idel 750-1200 depending how you set it and if you messed with the throttle cable to have better response
By BLACKS' COUPE
#48924 does this make your car waste more gas by not having this? :?
By DannyCraQ
#48927 yea it does, i put 10 bucks in and my car wouldnt start for shit, went down and got some gas in a gas can and it started right up =/

wheres the IAC?
By DannyCraQ
#48932 yea i knew about the emissions part

could it damage my car by any chance?

also, gotta get a new oil pan gasket

would not having an o2 damage my oil pan gasket making the engine run harder but not faster therefore tearing the gasket? i can see it torn and it wasnt like that when i had the o2
By suspendedHatch
#49077 No.

A bad O2 can cause your exhaust to get very hot which could crack your exhaust manifold. It will also destroy your cat converter which is a difficult thing to diagnose. If it runs your engine rich, it will wash the oil off the walls of your combustion chamber which will cause excessive engine wear. If it runs your engine lean it could cause preignition which again causes excessive engine wear.

DO NOT UNDERESTIMATE THE O2 SENSOR AS A "SMOG" DEVICE. It is critical to your engine's performance and longevity.

Your throttle blade could be dirty or it could be sticking. Guy a new gasket and some carb cleaner, remove the tb and clean it out.

The IACV is on the back of the intake manifold. It should be cleaned once a year along with the TB. Spray the screen out with the carb cleaner.

You could have a vacuum leak.

Your FITV could be stuck open.

Your ignition timing could be too far advanced.

You can tighten your tb cable some for better response, but if it affects your idle then it's too tight and not letting your throttle close completely which is going to cause you problems besides just your idle. Tighten it to the extreme and you can actually break it at WOT. Just tighten it to the low side of spec.
By DannyCraQ
#49173 o btw checked out your DIY anit car theft

wow

you are the fuckin man suspended.

:thumb:
By suspendedHatch
#49184 Hey thanks.

I would get a $20 multimeter and test the O2 first. The test procedure is in any repair manual. You should never just throw parts at the car and wish for a cure.

Start by checking the ignition timing. It's the easiest thing and it wont cost you any money to fix.