General engine questions/issues that aren't specific to the other categories
By flyinryan122
eg_hatchie wrote:still can locate it ... :? :? :? :? :? :? :?

what motor do you have
By flyinryan122
eg_hatchie wrote:ph12... carb type..

sorry cant help with that one :? haynes (or any other) manual would be your best bet.
By airride
#64204 I got a good one for this over heating problem. I did my waterpump, refurbished radiator, hoses, thermostat and it still over heated. But it sarted to steam at the radiator cap when the motor was running but the car was just parked. So I took the radiator cap of and shave a little bit off the metal where the cap goes and I never had problems again. :thumb:
By dionisis
teal_dx wrote:give us some more info on your motor setup , how many miles, any mods? How often do you have to fill your coolant?
i own a 1994 civic ferio,running a D15B3 under the hood. in July 2006 i was driving in the high way when i realised that the temperature needle was reaching "H" level. Stopped the car immediately,and opened the hood. No smokes were detected,i opened the radiator cap,and water was missing. The water pump was tottaly ruined and the water was flowing from the pump. :x i called my mechanic to come n pick me up,when we got civic at the garage (140000 kilometers on engine) we had to replace timing belts and water pump. I personally took the radiator to a guy speciallized in radiators-coolants-intercoolers-oil coolers, he "opened" it,sprayed it with high pressure hot water and then sealed it, put it on the board and carefully saw with a flash light if there were any cracks or holes on the radiator's body. Thank God they weren't at all! :woot: When i got back to my mechanic, he told me "hey man, u r soooo lucky that there isn't a head gasket problem!" :lol: New OEM hoses from Honda Dealer in my country, new thermostat, anti-freeze coolant, de-ionized water and start the motor for about 10 minutes so that thermostat can be OK. 8) after that i opened the ventilation pulley,and the spare air-water came off there. the civic was juuuuuust fine!!! Now i'm running 180000 on that engine (40000 more since 2006) and everything is OK. I change the oil every 2500 kilometers or less,and i check the radiator,the anti-freeze coolant, the hoses,everything!!! So that i won't have any problem in the future... :) next stop: EK9 radiator! or aluminium 2" radiator... :thumb: That's from me guys... :wink:
By terqtie
#80128 is it ok to remove the thermostat?
By teal_dx
terqtie wrote:is it ok to remove the thermostat?

I would not remove it completely and drive around... I don't think the engine would ever get up to operating temperature.
By rumpledskin
#87211 k so my mom is having overheating problems with the Ls swapped civic she is driving...the car has just got the swap and at the same time new radiator, hoses, and over flow and exhaust from the converter back.
The car was taken out of the garage and driven for the first time a couple days ago (just in the parking lot on the coldest day of the week) and after 10-15 min, most of which the car was just warming up, the temp. needle was just under the H.....

All of this was told to me by my little brother over the phone. (I live in a diff state) He told me that the first time the car was started after the swap that the engine did not heat up like that. He said after he turned off the car and opened the hood the only thing he saw was a tiny drip from the lower hose where it connects to the rad. and that the fan was not on...

Now the only thing that was different from the first start and that day ^ is that they added exhaust, and had to use some old headers that got a big dent in the bottom from a curb.

The codition of the header makes the car sound like a lawn mower even with stock exhaust but could it have that much effect of an effect on the engine temp? If not what would cause the engine temp. shoot to the top so rapidly? :?
By Vincentex3
#87452 Look for a spray at any auto store that helps repair damaged cylinders bays all u got to do is mix it with the oil and eventually friction and ware is not affecting you anymore that the grinding of your cylinders can cause unnecessary overheating
By jeremiah0678
#97498 im having a similar problem.

93 Civic DX 1.5: D15B7: 140,000 miles

Im loosing coolant because its "boiling over" in the overflow bottle. I changed my cap, thermostat, and bled the system. Still having the coolant loss from the overflow.

So after reading this post i decided to check for a headgasket issue and did a block test. No combustion gases showed up in the cooling system (chemical stayed blue), oil is the normal color and consistancy, no oil showing in the overflow tank.

I was able to pressure test my cap, it releases at 16lbs like its supposed to. Im kinda out of options here, my last guess would be the water pump? And input would be great!
By jeremiah0678
teal_dx wrote:by block test do you mean compression or leakdown? You must be getting air forced into the system somehow...

I havent done a compression test yet (its on my list though). I used the NAPA block tester.. the one that uses the blue acid that turns yellow if combustion gasses are present in the coolant.
By psykmern
#134986 hi guys!. im newbie here. ive got some prob bout my eg4. i drove it lastday and the temperature goes up when i hit 100 -120kph. the temp goes 3/4 then il drop the speed to 80kph den it will hit to 1/2 temp. i cant speed up coz im afraid that d engine blows up. the temp doesnt change if the speed is bout 70kph down. help me plzzz. fan is ok and the coolant doesnt change or leak. y is it temp goes up when it hits 120kph. help me plzzz tnx... help me guyz :(