General engine questions/issues that aren't specific to the other categories
By FrAnKeNsTeIn
#266061 :thumb:

120k I havent had time to tear into it. Last night I pulled the cap to look for discoloration. Greener than grass, Turned it over put on the heater and held the gas untill I hit temp. It felt like it took soo long and I thought the thermostat was not gong to pop. (assumed I figures out it probably seized.) Then It finally popped, No bubbles, no change in level in the filler neck.

I am use to some change in level after the pop....

Nothing definate, but still plan to change the pump and thermostat.

Wondering about the AC fan like you talked about got a picture of the splice? I havent looked at it but im assuming its 1 in 1 out on each one and your crossing positive?
By Ajax1989
teal_dx wrote:more of a bandaid than a proper fix, but a good temporary fix until you can repair the cause of the original problem.

i did this after i replaced my radiator and water pump..
i just have it as a back up way to kick my fan on if the fues pops or the relay takes a poop or if anything happens

but yes always fix the prob 1st.. sry if u took that as a means of fixing it
By jde_100
#276227 it won't crack i tired it!
By illason
#282363 How can you tell if the thermostat is bad? Or water pump? I can't get the air out of the system.
By Clypsay
jeremiah0678 wrote:im having a similar problem.

93 Civic DX 1.5: D15B7: 140,000 miles

Im loosing coolant because its "boiling over" in the overflow bottle. I changed my cap, thermostat, and bled the system. Still having the coolant loss from the overflow.

I think I May be having a similar issue. I just replaced my thermostat and cap recently and i replaced my waterpump about 4 months ago. It seems I'm still loosing coolant and I think it's going into the overflow bottle and boiling over as well. Thing is though it's a shitty aftermarket overflow bottle from advance auto since my friend thought it would make my "engine bay look cleaner without the stock resevoir" so he took it out and threw it away( I didn't know that it was important back then ) so now my resevoir sits right above the tranny mount right where the stock air filter used to be. Do you think because the resevoir sits so low it can't get back up and just boils over or just overfils and spills out? I have a 1994 hatch with a b7 block/z6 head
By M0N0C4M
teal_dx wrote:Over heating is something that I hear about a lot for these cars, and something that I experienced myself.

If your Temperatures are hot these here are some solutions:

1. Bleed your coolant system.
Airbubbles could be trapped in the system which can lead to overheating. With your engine cold, NOT WARM, remove the radiator cap (on radiator, not plastic overflow tank. Then start the car and let it warm up. Turn your heat on high. You may need to hold the throttle at 1500 RPM to get the engine hot enough. When it warms up, you will hear the thermostat click and your coolant will start flowing. Keep a container of mixed Coolant/Water and continue to top off the radiator when it gets low. This will fill in any air bubbles.

2. Check Thermostat. It may be stuck shut all the way or partially. This will cause moverheating. Stuck all the way open will cause your engine to never warm up.

3. Check your Fan. If you are overheating in city driving or stop & go traffic, it may be your fan not coming on. Highway driving will push air through your radiator but you need the fan on in the city.

4. Old radiator. Some of the EG's came with a VERY thin radiator about 5/8" thick. I know for a fact that the dx comes with the 5/8" radiator. I replaced it with an EX radiator which is about 1.25" thick. It may just be time to upgrade. Over time build-up and deposits will clog up the channels of the radiator like McDonalda clogs your arteries. A symptom of this problem I had was the temp needle going slightly over 1/2 way on the highway and then going all the way up to HOT as soon as I got off the highway into the city.

5. Headgasket. A bad headgasket will cause overheating. Your car may not blow the obvious white smoke that is known to mean a blown headgasket. Check your coolant, if it is dirty, milky, or has any trace of oil in it, then it could be your headgasket.

6. Blocking flow. You cold have something like a bolt or nut blocking the flow of coolant. Maybe when you were working on the motor, something fell
in to a coolant passage.
7. Water Pump. May need replaced.

Also when you add coolant to your civic, Add it to the radiator (only remove the cap when your engine is COLD) Adding it to the overflow tank does not mean it is going into your cooling system. The overflow tank is mainly for overflow as the coolant expands when hot and contracts when cold.

My 93 eh9 with a d16z6 is overheating. I think i have problem # 6 my upper radiator inlet broke i only found half of it. How do go bout searching for it?
(I installed new rad with cap, new upper hose . Fan is hard wired. Thermostat will be changed out on sat)
By Apexracing
#316001 open system flush, remove the lower and upper hoses and flush the radiator and the engine separately
By M0N0C4M
Apexracing wrote:open system flush, remove the lower and upper hoses and flush the radiator and the engine separately

Its not in the upper cuz i checked. Ill try the engine flush thanks :thumb: Any idea on what the fluid path is. Im trying to figure out where it maybe stuck.
By Clypsay
#316042 Just bought the stock resevoir from Honda, installed it, still boils over in the resevoir. I know it's not a head gasket, replaced the t-stat and tried 2 different caps, water pump got changed 6 months ago, I did the combustion test and the liquid stayed blue. I'm gonna replace the radiator and hoses if the situation does not change soon. Any thoughts? I have a b7 block/ z6 head
By Apexracing
#316055 Bad coolant temp sensor?
By Clypsay
#316176 Got my problem fixed, I guess whoever put on the aftermarket resevoir tank didn't put a hose inside so it couldn't suck the coolant back in. Now I have the oem resevoir and the coolant levels are in the right place :thumb:
By M0N0C4M
M0N0C4M wrote:
teal_dx wrote:Over heating is something that I hear about a lot for these cars, and something that I experienced myself.

If your Temperatures are hot these here are some solutions:

1. Bleed your coolant system.
Airbubbles could be trapped in the system which can lead to overheating. With your engine cold, NOT WARM, remove the radiator cap (on radiator, not plastic overflow tank. Then start the car and let it warm up. Turn your heat on high. You may need to hold the throttle at 1500 RPM to get the engine hot enough. When it warms up, you will hear the thermostat click and your coolant will start flowing. Keep a container of mixed Coolant/Water and continue to top off the radiator when it gets low. This will fill in any air bubbles.

2. Check Thermostat. It may be stuck shut all the way or partially. This will cause moverheating. Stuck all the way open will cause your engine to never warm up.

3. Check your Fan. If you are overheating in city driving or stop & go traffic, it may be your fan not coming on. Highway driving will push air through your radiator but you need the fan on in the city.

4. Old radiator. Some of the EG's came with a VERY thin radiator about 5/8" thick. I know for a fact that the dx comes with the 5/8" radiator. I replaced it with an EX radiator which is about 1.25" thick. It may just be time to upgrade. Over time build-up and deposits will clog up the channels of the radiator like McDonalda clogs your arteries. A symptom of this problem I had was the temp needle going slightly over 1/2 way on the highway and then going all the way up to HOT as soon as I got off the highway into the city.

5. Headgasket. A bad headgasket will cause overheating. Your car may not blow the obvious white smoke that is known to mean a blown headgasket. Check your coolant, if it is dirty, milky, or has any trace of oil in it, then it could be your headgasket.

6. Blocking flow. You cold have something like a bolt or nut blocking the flow of coolant. Maybe when you were working on the motor, something fell
in to a coolant passage.
7. Water Pump. May need replaced.

Also when you add coolant to your civic, Add it to the radiator (only remove the cap when your engine is COLD) Adding it to the overflow tank does not mean it is going into your cooling system. The overflow tank is mainly for overflow as the coolant expands when hot and contracts when cold.

My 93 eh9 with a d16z6 is overheating. I think i have problem # 6 my upper radiator inlet broke i only found half of it. How do go bout searching for it?
(I installed new rad with cap, new upper hose . Fan is hard wired. Thermostat will be changed out on sat)

New thermostat still over heating . What do I replace next?
By Clypsay
#316340 Are you loosing a lot of coolant or just overheating?
By M0N0C4M
Clypsay wrote:Are you loosing a lot of coolant or just overheating?

Coolant level stays the same, just the overheating issue