General engine questions/issues that aren't specific to the other categories
By Andre3th0u
#349252 I recently blew out a radiator and replaced radiator, thermostat, and both hoses. After that I have noticed it stumble when given more than 50% of throttle. Checked distributor for moisture, it was dry but contacts and rotor button were corroded so those were replaced today. And the problem is still there sometimes worse than others. Car ran fine until the radiator incident. It's a stock d15b non-vtec engine with just a cold air intake. Any help is appreciated
By teal_dx
#349267 First, check the code: http://civic-eg.com/viewtopic.php?t=1558

Your ecu is telling you what's wrong when you have a CEL, so always check the code before continuing to drive the car, as it could prevent more damage.

Depending on how bad it overheated, you could have damaged the engine, warped the head, blew the headgasket etc. But start with the simple stuff and find out what that Check Engine Light is for.

If you want to check for overheating damage without pulling the head off the motor, you can check the condition of your oil and coolant. Also a compression test is a sure way to see if your head warped from the heat or a head gasket is leaking.
By Andre3th0u
#349274 I've been checking oil and coolant daily since the over heating. And both look fine oil is clean it was changed week of the radiator going. I'll get that code checked out and see what it is.
By Andre3th0u
#349278 I read through how to figure out what code it's throwing but just curious to what it would do If there was more than 1 code. I might just hook up to scan tool at school this week. Thanks for the help teal
By teal_dx
#349280 It's OBD1, so there isn't a scan tool to read those codes (that I know of).
You must use the paperclip/wire jumper method described in the link I posted. If there's more than 1, just keep it jumped and count the flashes. Let it cycle through a few times to be sure you counted them all correctly. :thumb:
By brandoff88
#349352 not true theres a tool that a buddy of mine used to diagnose my chipped eco I got with the coupe running the y7/z6 mini me, it has like 10 adapters to fit all sorts of stuff and it can read into the ecu problems like a dealership tool, granted he borrowed if from his work, and its a 4500 dollar tool, they do make stuff to read into them :thumb:
By teal_dx
#349361 Start by replacing the bad o2 sensor. Your car isn't going to run right with a malfunctioning o2 sensor. Might as well throw in a new coolant temp sensor while you're at it. The bad o2 sensor is a red flag for your problems though.
Hope that fixes it :thumb:
By Andre3th0u
#349362 Yeah the automotive school I go to has all those fancy scan tools for us to use in class. I reset the ecu so it would erase the coolant temp sensor code. The oxygen sensor one is still on. I ordered a new sensor and should be here next week
By HeikDiesel
brandoff88 wrote:not true theres a tool that a buddy of mine used to diagnose my chipped eco I got with the coupe running the y7/z6 mini me, it has like 10 adapters to fit all sorts of stuff and it can read into the ecu problems like a dealership tool, granted he borrowed if from his work, and its a 4500 dollar tool, they do make stuff to read into them :thumb:

On anything pre obd2 I have never seen a scanner for them. What ecu are you running