General engine questions/issues that aren't specific to the other categories
By teal_dx
#348352 I've seen it all, but this has me stumped.
Car is a boosted z6, here's the list of mods: http://civic-eg.com/viewtopic.php?t=39

It's street tuned up to 5k rpm and was running great for the last few years. (I only drive it 5-10 times/yr.) Then last week, I drove it to work- 45 mi each way, mostly highway.

Last Wednesday morning, I got it out of the garage, everything was normal. I drove on country roads for about 5 mins, then after about 10 min of highway driving, I noticed a slight stumble when I gave it gas going up hill. It continued to get worse until it felt like a miss, but wasn't too bad if I barely gave it any throttle while cruising. I stopped and put some fresh gas in the tank, since the has in there was from last year (with Stabil added). I got back on the highway and was able to accelerate much better, barely any noticeable stumble at all. Then after about 5 mins of driving, it was bad again. Every time I gave it gas, it stumbled/missed. It did this the rest of the commute to work.

I thought it maybe had something to do with the engine temperature, since it got better for a few mins after I let the car sit while pumping gas, then got bad again.

Then later that day when I left work at 5, the car ran absolutely perfect the entire drive home.

It was cool that morning and hot that afternoon, so I wondered if it had anything to do with the outside temperature.

The car sat for a week until yesterday, when I took it to work again.
The exact same thing happened except the stumble/miss was even worse this time. When I had to stop at a light, it was tough to get the car moving again, it was missing so bad.

Also, my ECU threw a code 11, which is a Hondata code for engine temp, when I was driving in the city, about a mile before I got to work.
(It has done that a couple of times in previous years, but only when driving in 90° hot afternoons.) By this time, I was barely able to get the car moving from a stop light, it was misfiring so bad.

Yesterday the morning temps (high 60's) weren't as cold as the first time the car acted up. It was also a cooler afternoon (mid-high 70's )

I took the car out at lunch to run some errands around the city and it ran perfect.

Then I left work at 5 and the car ran absolutely perfect again!

So the only time it does this is in the morning.
:?

It feels like weak spark, only in the morning. My ignition is up to spec, NGK copper plugs & OEM plug wires with just a few thousand miles. OEM distributor, coil, cap & rotor. I just ordered a new OEM thermostat, because that CEL 11 came on in the morning when it wasn't hot outside.

Any ideas on why my car is cranky in the morning? I think it's mad at me because this all happened after I put it up for sale :eh:
By Leppy
#348364 How old is that distributor? ALL my hesitation and misfires were generally caused by a bad coil, and it was always picky and choosy when it worked or acted up. At first it only did it in the morning until it got worse, then it did it all the time.

I'm not sure about the code 11, unless maybe your coolant temp sensor is going out.
By HeikDiesel
#348372 Teal have you gone through in the helms to troubleshoot for code 11?

Also, have you messed with your enrichment tables for IAT/ECT?
By teal_dx
#348374 Code 11 isn't a Honda code. It only happens with S300.

The thermostat in the car now isn't OEM (needed one fast and was close to an autozone) so I've always been suspicious of that. Now's a good time to replace it with an OEM one.

I have never messed with the tune since it was done.

The terminals on the cap were looking a little crusty, so I'm going to order a new cap/rotor as well and see what that does.