General engine questions/issues that aren't specific to the other categories
By bk_civiceg
#342101 Hey guys, my car's been acting up lately and I can't figure it out. It seems to happen when its a little more humid outside. It always starts up fine and idles correctly, but sometimes all power cuts out both under load and not under load. When I give it throttle while the power is cut out, it will bog down and not fire at all. If I let it idle a few seconds then it usually goes back to normal. I though it was a fuel issue so I have replaced the fuel pump, the fuel pump relay, fuel filter, and plugs/wires but that hasnt done anything. Should I be checking my distributor?

Thanks,

-Ben
By bk_civiceg
teal_dx wrote:Did the check engine light come on at all?

Yeah the check engine light is on for the vtec solenoid only. It goes on and off because the screen is dirty. I don't think that is the cause of it, unless you've heard of it causing problems like this. Here's a link to the video I took of it. Maybe this will help.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/33985261@N04/12314945934/
By Scottyboiboi
#342227 Throttle cable ok? and is the throttle body opening and closely freely?
By bk_civiceg
#342261 Throttle cable has no issue, I already replaced the o2 sensor because I thought that as well, but it didn't change anything. The problem is very erratic. Sometimes it happens, sometimes not. Anything else I can check?
By bks84
#342301 try a known good distributor. youre coil or ignitor maybe wearing out. might also try calibrating the tps...
By bk_civiceg
#342367 Good idea. I'll have to try out a new distributor. Thats pretty much the only thing I haven't tried.

Thanks!
By bk_civiceg
#342622 Just wanted to give you all an update. I found out the problem. The throttle position sensor was bad. Replaced it, calibrated it myself, and then I made sure the connector stays on and now its good.
By bks84
#342762 so glad I suggested that!

glad you got it figured out!