General engine questions/issues that aren't specific to the other categories
By eg_on_93
#294984 Need some help guys i have a boosted b16a2.. for a few months my car been running smooth... now all of sudden theres oil coming out of valve cover port that sits right next to the oil cap.. and now ive been gettin black smoke coming out of the exhaust.... did i do any internal damage or is that normal?? :?
By EJ1_MK
#294991 How much boost?
By eg_on_93
EJ1_MK wrote:How much boost?

9 pounds
By EJ1_MK
#294997 Sounds like you need to ad a oil catch can, could not tell you if you hurt the motor, hopefully some of the others can help with that.
By eg_on_93
EJ1_MK wrote:Sounds like you need to ad a oil catch can, could not tell you if you hurt the motor, hopefully some of the others can help with that.

is that normal for hondas?
By bks84
#295038 is what normal? oil coming out of the vent on the valve cover?

sounds like you dont have any way of venting the pressure inside the engine...

get a cheap catch can setup off ebay or something and put it to use.
By teal_dx
#295041 Yeah it is normal. On a stock motor, that vent has a tube going back into the intake so that the blow-by (oil) and crankcase fumes go back into the engine instead of on the ground/air.

It's a good idea to instal an in-line catch can here on a stock engine IMO. Now throw boost into the mix and you have higher psi in the cyls obviously, but you also have more pressure in your crankcase than you did at stock. This can lead to more blow-by but you really don't want that junk going back into your intake with a turbo setup because the a/f ratios are much more crucial. Ading the blow-by into the mix can cause detonation which can be destructive. So people put a vent on the valve cover which will see more blow-by from increased crankcase pressure. The better solution is a catch can :thumb:
By eg_on_93
teal_dx wrote:Yeah it is normal. On a stock motor, that vent has a tube going back into the intake so that the blow-by (oil) and crankcase fumes go back into the engine instead of on the ground/air.

It's a good idea to instal an in-line catch can here on a stock engine IMO. Now throw boost into the mix and you have higher psi in the cyls obviously, but you also have more pressure in your crankcase than you did at stock. This can lead to more blow-by but you really don't want that junk going back into your intake with a turbo setup because the a/f ratios are much more crucial. Ading the blow-by into the mix can cause detonation which can be destructive. So people put a vent on the valve cover which will see more blow-by from increased crankcase pressure. The better solution is a catch can :thumb:

ok i just bought a greddy catch can... tell me how to install it so that this solves my blow by issue :thumb:
By teal_dx
#295182 You should have got one with a vent on the top and ran one line from the valve cover and the other line from the black box on the back of the block to vent the crank case. That's the easiest way to set it up on a boosted motor.

If you wanted to get a little more elaborate, you could replace the vent on the can with a line going to the intake before the turbo OR do a slash-cut setup in the exhaust. Either of those will still provide you with a vacuum at higher RPM. A vented catch can won't give you the vacuum but at least you'll let the crankcase vent under boost. I've seen DSM's with the dip stick hose-clamped on because it keeps popping out at high RPM due to the owner not properly venting the crankcase. :lol: