General engine questions/issues that aren't specific to the other categories
By vtecpowerrr
#288787 Hey !

I just finished taking off my CAI to put my stock air filter system.. And I was wondering, is it really worth giving up the good ol' purring sound of the CAI for fuel economy? My dad's a mechanic and he say's it's harder on gas.. especially during winter time here in Quebec ! I do believe myself that it is harder on gas..

Is it really ?
By FG2_Andrew
#288788 to save 2 mpg? not to me :lol:
By TrailerTrash
#288841 was it an acutal CAI or was it a short little tube with a filter on it? like a short ram deal.

and would the tempature outside make a difference in fuel economy?

jw
By vtecpowerrr
#288903 It wasn't the CAI's that go down in the bumber, it was one that the tube goes to where the stock air box was
By Ajax1989
#288911 Yes temperature has a role in MPG.. a lot of things play a role in ur mpg
By sqkr_28
#288918 Winter usaully means cooler temps, cooler temps mean a longer time for your engine to reach proper operating temp, at its proper operating temp is when the engine is most efficient, therefore to a certain extent you gonna lose a couple mpg no matter what during the winter time

feel free to correct me if im wrong just thoughts and concepts i picked up from thermodynamics
By bk_civiceg
#290737 Colder weather is better for internal combustion engines. Thats the whole point of having a Cold air intake. Colder air = more oxygen in the air = bigger explosion inside the cylinder = more power. I would think you would get better fuel economy with a CAI in the winter months.

:: I'm a mechanical engineering student currently studying engine theory.