General engine questions/issues that aren't specific to the other categories
By Gustavo
#249832 So I have a ls/vtec(b18b1 bottom gsr head) N when i go 2 start my car my radiator overflow tank expands n goes down n then expands n down after I step on the gas. Then after i drive around n then look under the hood it looks like it gushed/squirts antifreeze through the lid/or small hose into my air intake. Wat can this b? Is there 2 much pressure? Could this b a bad thermostat or water pump? Thanks in advance.
By oregon_civic
#249836 maybe you have an air bubble. it wouldnt hurt to open your bleeder valve until it squirts antifreeze, then tighten it back up.
By Gustavo
oregon_civic wrote:maybe you have an air bubble. it wouldnt hurt to open your bleeder valve until it squirts antifreeze, then tighten it back up.

Will try this 2morrow.
By teal_dx
#249863 I have had this happen because my head gasket has a tiny leak and air was being forced from the combustion chamber into the coolant passage where the pressure is lower, then causing the coolant to overflow because it was replaced by air in the cooling system.

Keep an eye on your temp gauge and look inside your radiator cap when the engine is COLD.

look for off-white gunk inside the radiator cap or a light oily film on the surface of the coolant for signs of a leaking head gasket.
By Gustavo
teal_dx wrote:I have had this happen because my head gasket has a tiny leak and air was being forced from the combustion chamber into the coolant passage where the pressure is lower, then causing the coolant to overflow because it was replaced by air in the cooling system.

Keep an eye on your temp gauge and look inside your radiator cap when the engine is COLD.

look for off-white gunk inside the radiator cap or a light oily film on the surface of the coolant for signs of a leaking head gasket.

I have noticed oily tint in the overflow tank. My friend said it looked like liquid glass, but not sure wat 2 do. Should i replace the thermostat 1st or change the head gasket?
By Robbys89
#249977 maybe your head gasket alright if there's an oily tint to it but that could be just corrosion and what not that builds up on the walls where coolant flows and is been picked up.

if i where you before tackling the big jobs like head gasket change the radiator cap, they can and do fail releasing water into the expansion bottle when pressure hasent or dose reach its normal operating pressure.

also what radiator are you running? if its a stock half rad upgrading wouldent hurt to help cool the bigger engine. i myself had a problem with the expansion tank and changed the cap and havent had a problem since.
By Gustavo
Robbys89 wrote:maybe your head gasket alright if there's an oily tint to it but that could be just corrosion and what not that builds up on the walls where coolant flows and is been picked up.

if i where you before tackling the big jobs like head gasket change the radiator cap, they can and do fail releasing water into the expansion bottle when pressure hasent or dose reach its normal operating pressure.

also what radiator are you running? if its a stock half rad upgrading wouldent hurt to help cool the bigger engine. i myself had a problem with the expansion tank and changed the cap and havent had a problem since.

Im running this 1.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/92-95-HO ... 0768038731
By Gustavo
teal_dx wrote:Do a compression test on each cylinder before you bother taking the head off, just for a piece of mind. :thumb:

Where can i buy a compression test thing? N i just changed my thermostat n the spring thing on it was hard 2 move back n the new 1 is easier. N now my question is theres this cylinder thing on my firewall on passenger side. Is that my fuel filter? N im about 2 replace it do i order it 4 a 92 Honda hatchback?
By Robbys89
#250044 im running the same rad, that will be able to handle cooling no problem. but with mine anyway a standard cap want fit :thumbdown:
By Gustavo
Robbys89 wrote:im running the same rad, that will be able to handle cooling no problem. but with mine anyway a standard cap want fit :thumbdown:

So i cant go buy a cap n it'll fit?
By Robbys89
#250049 well not an OEM one anyway man but some aftermarket may fit, like my buddy's eg has a buddy club cap and fitment ante the best on his standard half rad. but can always ask the seller of those rads if he can sort you out or point you in the right direction n where to get one