General engine questions/issues that aren't specific to the other categories
By oregon_civic
#247880 it starts, idles, then i go to accelerate, and it grumbles and dies. i gave it a tune up not too long ago; plugs, wires, air filter, pcv valve, seafoamed, and cleaned the throttle body. any ideas?
By JUICE
#247883 you could try the fuel filter. never a bad idea anyway.. cheap and easy :thumb:

i had a similar issue. if you take it off and it weighs 20 pounds you've probably found the problem :lol:
By oregon_civic
#249303 sorry, i forgot to mention i just did the fuel filter during my tune up.
By ghskid06
#249307 well it sounds like something is keeping it from getting the right amount of fuel required. Make sure your injectors are spraying nicely and check your fuel pressure.

Did it have the problem before the tune up? Was it sudden?
By oregon_civic
#249384 no check engine light. i initially did the tune up because i was idling really low at stop signs, to the point where the car would stall out. i usually tune it up about once every year or so, and it takes care of these problems.
By ghskid06
#249416 And immediately after the tune up it started this?
By oregon_civic
#249585 new plugs, air filter, oil change, fuel filter, pcv valve, cleaned the carburator, dumped seafoam in with a fresh tank of gas, charged the battery...i think that was all i did. it was acting loopy at stop signs before i did all of this.
By bserius
#250240 make sure the dizzy is ok no cracks in cap n that. check rotor also inside of it. could be sumthn real dumb
By oregon_civic
#250675 i havent pulled the distribution cap off yet. ill give that a try tommorrow. ill let you know. thanks.
By oregon_civic
#250759 i pulled off the distributor cap. it looks normal. i cleaned all the conacts and sealed it back on tight. i checked all fuses and grounds. i drained the gas tank completely. then added a bottle of heet with a fresh tank of gas. i went to relieve the fuel pressure from the top of the fuel filter, and nothing came out. so i tore out the back seat, and opened up the fuel pump cover, turned the ignition switch on, and i didnt hear any sounds coming from my fuel pump. now i am thinking i need to pull the pump out, and check resistance and clean the sock (and possibly replace the pump). i will let you know what happens. any suggestions would be helpful. thank you.

i forgot to mention, she doesnt even start up now.
Last edited by oregon_civic on Sun Apr 17, 2011 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By LaosToaster
oregon_civic wrote:i pulled off the distributor cap. it looks normal. i cleaned all the conacts and sealed it back on tight. i checked all fuses and grounds. i drained the gas tank completely. then added a bottle of heet with a fresh tank of gas. i went to relieve the fuel pressure from the top of the fuel filter, and nothing came out. so i tore out the back seat, and opened up the fuel pump cover, turned the ignition switch on, and i didnt hear any sounds coming from my fuel pump. now i am thinking i need to pull the pump out, and check resistance and clean the sock (and possibly replace the pump). i will let you know what happens. any suggestions would be helpful. thank you.

if u never replaced the fuel pump on ur civic before might as well do it now, ur fuel pump might looks cruddy, if so just chuck it and go to the junk yard and pocket some fuel pumps. i got lucky and found a bosch fuel pump for my civic :thumb: but yea first check for voltage at the pump first before anything. good luck
By oregon_civic
#250877 the fuel pump checks out okay. the main relay looks to be in good condition too. i guess i will move on to checking resistance on the fuel injectors.
By 94EJ2
#250893 check voltage to the pump end of the plug or run a hot wire to the pump the flat part of the plug is the positive if i remember correctly dont leave the hot wire connected tho