General engine questions/issues that aren't specific to the other categories
By jetlikoki86
#230858 i changed my z6 for an y8 since the z6 died, notice after some days, somewhere on the head was droping a lot oil, after looking all around a found that the leak was coming from the vtec solenoid, i changed the 2 gaskets still no change, so i took a pic and found something really wierd, y8 head has a little hole right next the vtec solenoid holes, i dont know if im explaining my self so better if i show u the pic, and see if one of u guys now something about this
in the yellow box you'll see what im talking about, im using y8 vtec solenoid with y8 head, have no now since z6 vtec solenoid is different, any idea? :?
By jetlikoki86
#230905 this is an y8 head, if u look on the yellow arrow on the right lowe side, you'll se where the vtec solenoid is located, in my pic, is showing the lower part of the solenoid, where the lower screw is located, the hole im talking about is the one the arrow is pointin at.. in mi pic, the solenoid cover half of that hole...

By teal_dx
#230975 Are you 100% sure your head is a y8 head and it has a y8 solenoid on it?

here's some pics of y8 head & solenoid:

http://mrblur.smugmug.com/Cars/Honda-Ci ... uxRS-M.jpg

http://mrblur.smugmug.com/Cars/Honda-Ci ... XtrY-M.jpg

That hole you are pointing to looks to me more of a casting mark... maybe the solenoid gasket is bad and oil is leaking down and coming out by the recessed area?
By jetlikoki86
#230977 yes 100% sure head and solenoid y8.. both gaskets are new and original..i even used a sealant to cover that hole and for the solenoid, its better now but still leaking but not like before...
By teal_dx
#231068 are you torqueing the 3 bolts evenly/correctly when tightening it down? Could there be a scrape or gouge in the surface of the head or vtec solenoid that is preventing a good seal? It's gotta be one of those 1 in 1000 chances that causes a problem since you have all the correct parts.
By jetlikoki86
#231087 no gouge at all, will try with another gasket and see if there's any difference.. kind off sick of it now since i have to put oil every week :(
By jetlikoki86
#231128 yeap... oem gasket.. today i opened my hood just to check if there was oil leaking, and surprise... :( , like it used to be.. damn it.. tomorrow i'll change all the gaskets again with my mechanic to see what is going on..
By teal_dx
#231136 My 96 with D16y5 motor (very similar to y8) had a slow oil leak from the vtec solenoid and I replaced the gasket , only to have it still leak. I only lost about a quart or two between oil changes though. How much oil are you losing?
By jetlikoki86
#231164 imagine im losing about half quart every week, besides of that, theres also a leak from the timing part.. but that is that serious as the solenoid leak
By jetlikoki86
#231474 update, change again the gasket and put some grey silicone (dont know the exact name) and boom!!!! so far so good..no leaks at all.. notice also that the sound if tha car changed :? sounds louder... still im gonna change that crapy exhaust that has now...