General engine questions/issues that aren't specific to the other categories
By drewdude92
#197306 I have a 94 civic with the 1.6 v-tec motor. Im probably sounding stupid right now but im no positive but here it goes. I just bought the car about 4 days ago and just drove it around like a granny. So today I decided to start driving it kinda hard getting up to five grand or so. Well about ten to twenty seconds after being up at those high rpms a nasty kinda like a (burnt rubber/oil/exhaust/I have no clue what it smells like) smell comes into the cab. The car runs perfect and no check engine lights are on. Ive had a few people tell me that its just a honda thing. but i just wanna know for sure. Thanks
By ej2rey
#197321 you probably burning oil. have you noticed if smoke comes out the exhasut when you reach high rpms?
By JUICE
#197329 seems like pretty much all the D and B series motors with vtec burn some oil in high rpms.

I'm pretty sure it's completely normal. someone who knows for sure will chime in..
By teal_dx
#197334 could be oil or burning carbon out of your engine too.
A lot of times I'll smell the distinctive honda smell when I'm behind one at high rim.

it's kind of a clutchy burnt smell coming from the engine.
By ikon
#197350 thats just u burnin baby souls :thumb:
By TrailerTrash
#197378 All of the above :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

it just smells like vtec :woot:
By forcefedEG
TrailerTrash wrote:All of the above :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

it just smells like vtec :woot:

x2... my dd is bad for that when i dust it out once in a while... normally it gets loaded up with carbon cuz i jus chuggy chuggy around...
By Chance
#197411 Sometimes I fart when v-tec kicks in.
By dbrooks
Chance wrote:Sometimes I fart when v-tec kicks in.

me too. Every time actually! Hahaha
By drewdude92
#198004 okay cool so its nothing i should worry about then =)