Technical Topics specific to the 4 dr. Sedan body - NOT where you post pics/build specs of your car.
By BrownWolph
#308490 This is my first car and my mother bought it for me as a birthday present back in 1998. I sold her in 2005, then saw her parked outside my job 2010. I left the then owner a note and 6 months later I bought back my Civic!! I had her in storage at my mothers house and after going through 4 other cars I now need to get her back on the road.

So here is where I'm at with this Project.

For what ever reason the people who owned my Civic must have had a deep rooted hatred for the car. There is a D16Y7 motor with what seems to be a d15b7 intake manifold on it. There is major idling issues!! I have changed out sensors, valves, IACV, distributor, etc.

THE QUESTION: I would like to put a D16y8 intake manifold on her but since I do not have the hoses, fuel rail, etc. for the D16y7 should I either go to the junk yard and buy both the Y7 and Y8 intake manifolds or go all out and get a full aftermarket intake kit? There so damn expensive though.

Some pics.

By TrailerTrash
#308501 well first of all you forgot to mention what year the car is... I asume its an EG.

with that in mind the Y7 is an OBD2 engine and the P06 ecu is not only an obd1 ecu its a non-vtec ecu.

maybe someone did a hackjob conversion?

and you really wouldnt have a huge power gain from a Y8 manny. to me, not worth the trouble.
By TrailerTrash
#308504 also the bad idle could be from a leaking gasket. warm the engine up and spray some carb/brake cleaner all around the intake gaskets and listen for the engine to rev up.
By BrownWolph
TrailerTrash wrote:well first of all you forgot to mention what year the car is... I asume its an EG.

with that in mind the Y7 is an OBD2 engine and the P06 ecu is not only an obd1 ecu its a non-vtec ecu.

maybe someone did a hackjob conversion?

and you really wouldnt have a huge power gain from a Y8 manny. to me, not worth the trouble.

1992 is the year, and so I need to get an OBD2 ECU?
By BrownWolph
TrailerTrash wrote:also the bad idle could be from a leaking gasket. warm the engine up and spray some carb/brake cleaner all around the intake gaskets and listen for the engine to rev up.

Going to do that today, thanks!
By teal_dx
#308551 No, keep everything OBD1 since your car is OBD1. They actually did the swap the way I would have. Keeping the OBD1 intake, throttle body and injectors. This ensures that all of the sensors will work and the fuel lines are in the same place. The d16y7 had the crappy intake manifold with the throttle body mounted low, facing straight up. If you have an idling problem, chances are you have a vacuum leak. (cracked or open vacuum hose, leaking throttle body or intake manifold gasket) or even air in the coolant system can cause the idle to bounce. It happens easily on hondas. Don't waste $ on an aftermarket intake or even a D16y8 intake. The fix is most likely something simple as mentioned above. :thumb:
By BrownWolph
teal_dx wrote:No, keep everything OBD1 since your car is OBD1. They actually did the swap the way I would have. Keeping the OBD1 intake, throttle body and injectors. This ensures that all of the sensors will work and the fuel lines are in the same place. The d16y7 had the crappy intake manifold with the throttle body mounted low, facing straight up. If you have an idling problem, chances are you have a vacuum leak. (cracked or open vacuum hose, leaking throttle body or intake manifold gasket) or even air in the coolant system can cause the idle to bounce. It happens easily on hondas. Don't waste $ on an aftermarket intake or even a D16y8 intake. The fix is most likely something simple as mentioned above. :thumb:

I'm going to replace all the gaskets. I checked every hose and could not find one leak. Thanks! :cheers:
By BrownWolph
#308938 So I took a look at her and noticed that there is no gasket on the throttle bodyat all. Guess I will be buying on. LOL!
By TrailerTrash
#308951 :lol:

that sucks in a way but in another way its nice to know what the problem is.