Technical Topics specific to the 4 dr. Sedan body - NOT where you post pics/build specs of your car.
By Banacek
#6909289 Mods: Sorry if this is not in the right place, please move if you like.

Okay, I'm an expat living in Thailand where I almost exclusively use my old Honda Cub motor scooter for my transportation needs.

But, I am looking for an older Honda sedan to go into town once a month, and to the beach (about half a klick from my house) everyday with my mutt, Jing. Something that I don't care if she shakes saltwater and sand everywhere! (Sorry if that is blasphemy, I know Honda's reliability, and that is what is important to me).

Anyway, I just found a 1992 Civic, with only 135,000 kilometers.

Interior shows normal wear and discoloration for a 30 year-old car, but looks pretty good. Seats have no damage, headliner looks almost new, dash is a bit faded but otherwise in good shape. Body is solid.

Price is 38,000 baht, or $1200 US.

Two issues that I need advice on, please:

1) I warmed up the engine for three minutes and, with my foot on the brake, slipped it into reverse (automatic) and also drive....this made the steering wheel noticeably shudder. Grabbing onto to it did nothing to mitigate the shudder, but returning it to park stopped it. What would cause this?

2) Hood (bonnet) raised, engine warm, slight ticking but I was unable to narrow down location it emanated from. Valves? Tappets?

This is the perfect car for me and Jing, unless the fixes are expensive. Any insight and advice is welcome. Thanks in advance.