Technical Topics specific to the 2 dr. coupe body - NOT where you post pics/build specs of your car.
By EGnovice
#348438 Hey guys I need some help and or feedback on this issue I've been having with my ej1 coupe it's a 1993 ex with the d16z6 motor I just picked it up not to long ago and I'm having issues the main one of many, is when I go to start it I usually need to jump it the first time and it starts but after driving it and turning it off it won't start up again even if I jump it. The battery has good power (or so I think) or I'm thinking it could be the starter and if so any treads on how to replace it?

And as my name says eg novice I am one but willing to learn! Thanks guys.
By JohnRM
#348439 Go to your local parts store and get your battery tested either in the car, or a full charge and test with one of their machines in-store. If you go with the second option (from experience it takes an 1-1.5 hours to fully charge and test), you'll definitely know if your battery is good or not after their machine is done with it. If you do the first option, you can check the battery, starter, and tester all at once. Their smaller machine usually gives a pretty good reading about each one of them.
By EGBlake:)si
#348441 It could also be your alternator going out... that's why your car won't start even after you drive it.... sometimes your battery and a bad alternator can keep your car running while its started but if your battery is doing allot of work then that could be why its just dead when you try to restart. Just another option
By teal_dx
#348443 It doesn't sound like a starter issue, unless you're getting a click and it won't start sometimes. But even jumping a car won't help a bad starter.
So I'm guessing it's your battery or alternator. As mentioned, a store can test them both. I'd take the battery in first, since the alternator is a PITA to remove.
It may just be a bad battery and the alternator isn't able to charge it. But once the car is running, it's getting power from the alternator.
By EGnovice
#348517 Another problem which might have somthing to do with it all is I have a leak on the bottom of my radiator and a hole in the oil pan (b/c the guy before me was going to boost it) could that also have somthing to do with it not starting all the time?
By egsedanguy
EGnovice wrote:Another problem which might have somthing to do with it all is I have a leak on the bottom of my radiator and a hole in the oil pan (b/c the guy before me was going to boost it) could that also have somthing to do with it not starting all the time?

nope. but i would replace that radiator and oil pan. The radiato may go at any time if its starting to leak. Not fun when your on the freeway and it goes. Had that happen befor. When you say "hole" in the pan is that a full blown hole or is the gasket leaking?
By teal_dx
EGnovice wrote:Another problem which might have somthing to do with it all is I have a leak on the bottom of my radiator and a hole in the oil pan (b/c the guy before me was going to boost it) could that also have somthing to do with it not starting all the time?

This wouldn't make the car not start, but I would not drive it until I fixed those 2 things. Coolant and oil is what keeps your engine alive!
By Punksz6
#348715 Yeah I would have your battery tested, I remember when I thought my battery was still good and had the same thing happen, wouldn't start...Jumped and then started and then sometimes when I tried jumping it wouldn't start..Battery was not holding a full charge, I could push start if I was on a hill though..Your could also check the cables and the wiring to the alt from fusebox (underhood) to the alt itself, replace if corroded... :thumb: