Technical Topics specific to the 2 dr. coupe body - NOT where you post pics/build specs of your car.
By kaikohe
#326240 So I have these wires that are leading from my cooling fan.... Im trying to figure out why they would bypass the the fuse box and stuff. Any ideas?

By Fada Blayne
#326244 something got mickey moused. Im assuming someone wired up the fan to stay on all the time :?

does the car run and if yes when does the fan come on if any at all?
By kaikohe
#326246 It runs all the time....but i would like it to come on only when needed....any ideas how to re-run the wire so it doesn't stay one all the time
By Fada Blayne
#326247 I noticed in your other post that you said your car has been overheating, well now we know why. Apparently the previous owner was having the same issue and instead of fixing it correctly he did this foolishness.

I dont even know where to start, there could be multiple things going on at this point. What I suggest that you do is check the following:

Fan Switch and Fan switch Relay
Ect
Thermostat
Radiator Cap

Do that for now and report back. By the way, do you have any check engine lights on?
By Eg6H2D
#326248 Check engine light on at all? You want to check the fan relay over by the driver side of the radiator support. it's on a bracket and they look identical. .
By kaikohe
#326251 the car wasnt overheating when i had un hooked the cooling fan but today it did when i re-rigged it back up the way they had done it......but i think i will replace the waterpump and thermostat.....but thanks for the radiator cap idea as well i think i will do that too.
By kylenjdm93
Fada Blayne wrote:I noticed in your other post that you said your car has been overheating, well now we know why. Apparently the previous owner was having the same issue and instead of fixing it correctly he did this foolishness.

I dont even know where to start, there could be multiple things going on at this point. What I suggest that you do is check the following:

Fan Switch and Fan switch Relay
Ect
Thermostat
Radiator Cap

Do that for now and report back. By the way, do you have any check engine lights on?

The coolant sensor that controlles the relay for the fan is at the thermostat housing if I remember right check it also, the relay for it is located in the fuse box next to thee battery in a ex.
By MG6
#326267 seems like double post.. Mods, please del the other thread.
By kaikohe
#326308 The coolant is overflowing into the reservoir and is boiling. That is what made me think it was maybe the water pump not working anymore because the lower hose was cold while the upper was hot.
By kaikohe
#326309 your right Teal.... i was hitting the post instead of reply button....... you can delete the other threads if you like
By Fada Blayne
teal_dx wrote:From this post and your others, it sounds like you have a leaking head gasket. I'd do a compression test to confirm.

I am also of this belief but i was just saving the worst for last. Afterall he might change his HG and still have issues.
By kylenjdm93
#326364 This is very true
By HaydenSI
#326398 At one point I had to wire my fan up to come on when i needed it to. *wired it up to a switch* because it was 5 degrees outside and I had no garage to work on the thing.

A few questions. Is it overheating while your dirve it or just at a dead stop? Try letting it overhead a little *about 75% of the guage* then crank the heater on full blast.

Good news is head gaskets aren't that big a pain in the ass. With the right tools you can swap it out in about 2 hours if you know the head and block are still in good condition.
By kaikohe
#326514 So today i went to replace the thermostat. I went to remove the housing and I took it off and all was good. the gasket for the thermostat was there. But then i went to reach down and take the thermostat out and there was no thermostat there at all. i wasnt surprised or shocked. but the side effect of replacing it and the radiator cap is that all the hoses which are 18 years old and dry rotted are acting like they all wanna blow. so now im in the process of replacing almost all the coolant hoses... i think its funny that people actually drive there cars around like this and then wonder why they breakdown when they do.