Photoshopped images & requests, show off your Photography
By Vti93T
#199021 So I'm going to be getting a Canon Rebel xs. Bf's dad loves me enough to surprise me with one..He kinda let out that he was giving me one lol. It was supposed to be a surprise. So until I get it, I have but one question...

What lenses should I get? I'm basically going to be doing portraits, car photography, auto cross shots, landscape probably and well I guess really anything and everything lol.

If you have a lens that you like and you want to share it please post a picture of it and a sample picture you've taken with it so I can get an idea.

Thanks!!!
By ShEfA
#199046 Congrats on the future new camera! :)

I am a Nikon user, so I can't recommend specific model for a Canon, but what I can tell you for sure is that if you're going to shoot portraits, then you should buy a light sensitive lense, something like <2 on the F-stop. You would like it to be fixed, non-zoom, ot at least something like 10mm difference. I hear they are better for portraits. Also, you would like it to be more of an wide angle one.

You should get something zooming, like 70-300mm., so you can shoot far away objects, and animals? Choose wiseley, look out for a stabilezed lense, with a stabilizing element in it, because at 300mm. the pictures would be extremely difficult to be focused.

I am a total non-pro, I use my camera purely for fun, so those advices are not professional and are of my own shallow experience, so please look out for second opinions before taking a decision.

Good luck! :)

P.S.: And post pictures here! :)
By teal_dx
#199048 I'm also a Nikon owner so I can't give you any specifics... but the above advice is good :thumb:
Invest in a good tripod too... the cheap ones aren't very solid for a bigger SLR camera.
Especially if You like night shooting :thumb:
By dbrooks
#199057 definitely get a sick fisheye lens!
By ShEfA
#199062 Oh yeah, teal is 101% right.

One should never trust a cheap tripod to carry a thousand dollar worth of equipment!

I have two cheap tripods, because I don't have any cash to spare, so when I use them I always hold my camera with the strap, because they may brake any moment and I won't be feelin' good if that happens. :)

Also, they both shake like leafs when even a slight breeze hits, not to mention that it is hard as hell to mount the camera good...
By Vti93T
#199662 Eventually I'll get a tri-pod. I'm not huge on taking night pictures. I'm going to be doing a friends engagement pictures soon and then her pregnancy pictures..

so far two people have told me to get the fixed 50mm lens..So I'm probably going to get that one first and then maybe get a zoom lens..I'm not sure yet. Still looking at lenses and stuff..

Feel free to recommend lenses and whatever other stuff.
By skateruptown
#200476 50mm 1.8f, kit lens, filters, something with some zoom to it thats for sure up to the 250mm do you need anything more then that? off camera flash helps alot with car photography and portraits. Check out www.dieselstation.com they got a wack load of good info on techniques and what you need to get started.
By skateruptown
#200478 canon T2i ftw :thumb:
By Vti93T
#200535 I know about that stuff..I just wanted to mainly know what lenses everyone is using and what they recommend..and the stock lens is going to sit in the closet once I get a new one cause I hate the stock lens
By skateruptown
#200544 so far ive only got a 50mm,18-55mm,8mm, they dont look half bad i posted some pics not too long ago in this thread, check em out.
By Vti93T
#200610 yeah I'm going to get a 50 mm as my first lens and then I found a 75-300mm lens for $155 and I'm going to get a polarized filter as well. Might get more stuff later on. Those will just be to play around with it. I can't remember what lenses I use to use when I was taking photos back when. I just know the camera I was using was freakin expensive.
By Chance
#200654 I love my 50mm, Its great for potraits! and Like the rest of the peeps in here, I'm a Nikon guy.
I REALLY want to get a Nikon 17-55... but they are sooo expensive so I think I'm going to shoot for a Tamron 17-50.
Something similar in the Canon world would be perfect as its a really good all around lense! I'll be using it alot since we've been doing a lot of weddings and portraits lately.
By J'95
#200657 Good choice in camera, :thumb: You'll have fun with it, after you get the 50mm i think you should spend in a good lens like the 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6, Ultrasonic (quiet focus motor) Image Stabilizer (for low light shooting) and you'll both wide and zoom lens. take your time and don't stop shooting is how we'll learn.
By Chance
#200664 Katie,
Check out http://www.pixel-peeper.com/lenses/canon/ if you haven't already, it lists all the lenses for Canon and other makes that are compatible for canon (sigma, Tamron) and gives you examples of pics from each lense to give you an idea of what you'll get.
B&H is a fantastic site for ordering on-line. ( www.bhphotovideo.com )
I've ordered from them a few times and couldn't be happier each time! Also, buying used off Amazon has been beneficial in money savings as well. Just read the reviews of the sellers! You can save a few hundo buying used! I got my 105mm used for $400 and it was basically brand new! (New would've been near $1,000 new)
By Vti93T
#200865 Thanks guys..I'm sure I'll have fun with the 50mm. I already plan on doing engagement photos for a friend and also since she's prego I'm going to be doing pregnancy pictures for her :D So that lens will be great.

Chance wrote:Katie,
Check out http://www.pixel-peeper.com/lenses/canon/ if you haven't already, it lists all the lenses for Canon and other makes that are compatible for canon (sigma, Tamron) and gives you examples of pics from each lense to give you an idea of what you'll get.
B&H is a fantastic site for ordering on-line. ( www.bhphotovideo.com )
I've ordered from them a few times and couldn't be happier each time! Also, buying used off Amazon has been beneficial in money savings as well. Just read the reviews of the sellers! You can save a few hundo buying used! I got my 105mm used for $400 and it was basically brand new! (New would've been near $1,000 new)

Omg I love B&H!!! I've already picked out a lens on there. A good zooming out lens..It's the 75-300mm I think for $159 or something. Dang Chance! Yeah I've definitely been looking at b&h a lot. I'm however, not going to buy lenses used. I've read up on it and it's better just to buy new lol. I'll probably just start out with the cheaper lenses and then upgrade to more expensive...one day. I'll keep all the information you guys give me in mind. I think I'm probably be getting the 50mm first and then maybe that zoom lens..the 75-300mm because it's not too expensive. Then maybe getting a polarize filter. We'll see.