Anything & Everything Off-Topic (Some material may be offensive)
By teal_dx
#151608 Here's what I've been up to lately... I'm tired of having all my tools at my parent's house and having to drive 30 mins every time I need to build or work on anything or get something to fix our house.

I got to know the local amish and had them build a deck. They did a great job and were good people to deal with - and cheap!

They are building a 32x40 with 12' ceilings.

Here is the spot where the pole barn will go. I had to move the potting shed forward 6' and you can see where the bigger shed used to be, we moved it back a ways and 90° clockwise. We used a buddy's F250 to drag them lol.
32' was as wide as I could go, 15' from property and 10' from septic.

The building is going to be the place where I store all my tools, JD318 mower, hatch & mustang, and one corner is going to be the man cave. I plan to leave the inside open for the most part to keep it versatile. Depending on how things go, I may set up a photography studio for shooting vehicles in a year or two.

It will have radiant heat, electric & water and I would like to drywall but most of those may have to wait until $$ permits. I am getting the pex/slab installed this year though.
By teal_dx
#151610 The amish showed up to start digging the post holes...

I don't think they were expecting my clay to be so hard with all the rain we had been getting...

things took longer than expected and they were out EARLY the next morning. I woke up and they were already going!

I got home from work that day to find all the holes ready for inspection.
It was Columbus day so I couldn't schedule till Tues morning. They were approved Wed.

Posts started going up Thursday

I saw this friday when i got home from work!
As you may know, the amish don't use equipment or electricity. They have someone come in if they need that stuff done. They know a guy down the road with a lift who was free on friday. They only use gas tools, a gas powered table saw and a chain saw.

Saturday morning... the last day of the cold rainy weather we have been getting here. I give these guys tons of credit, they work hard and never complain so I keep them well fed and have a cooler full of pop at all times. They love mountain dew!

By end of the day saturday, they had the roof papered and the walls mostly done.
By Classiccarsrule85
#151614 gotta love the amish jeez that was quick too....but then again they work hard and stuff man i wish i could get a garage and stuff ......
By DontHateonEG8
#151615 haha, amish in the north = mexicans in the south
By smokinsoljah420
#151616 :twisted: nice i wish i had one of those! Mind if i live in it? lol! :thumb:
By chrono404
#151628 Thats really fast construction. Damn. I am impressed.

I thought from your diagrams you where going to have a concrete floor? :?
By Dippin_EG
#151629 Amish people FTMFW!!! straight up. :thumb:
By teal_dx
chrono404 wrote:Thats really fast construction. Damn. I am impressed.

I thought from your diagrams you where going to have a concrete floor? :?

yeah there will be. in pole barn construction, they pour the floor after the building is up.
By Chance
#151653 That is AWESOME, The Amish are good people! Wish I had enough land to have even the small shed you have LOL
By LaMbErT*
#151665 wow man thats really awesome! quick too like everyone said !
By Apexracing
#151669 looks awesome!!! mad props to the amish they work hard.
By Vti93T
#151687 I want!!!!!
By CivicDude
#151761 Very nice got one ? how long would it take for the Amish to get too calif to build me one.
By teal_dx
#151772 By buggy hmmm.., a month? they ride trains or greyhound busses if they have to go really far.

Yesterday was the first nice day we have had in a while... 50's and sunny. Here's some closer pics of the building.

You can see that the 8' door on the back was moved 4' away from the center. This was in an earlier set of plans to get some more space for a pool table in the 'man area'

their table saw

The only thing I found that I didn't like. The cut on the outer osb was a little wavy and leaves a gap 1" at the widest part.

I went with a 5/12 truss for some usable attic storage.
By chrono404
#151773 Nce updates.
I am guessing you will insulate it when its done right?