Technical Topics specific to the Hatchback body - NOT where you post pics/build specs of your car.
By Hatch-O-Doom
#284495 So I have a 94 EG.

And since I have had it, the windows fog-up really bad in the morning, I mean really bad. I am sure its the seals on the windows.

I have searched and searched and searched on a repair to this, some people say to adjust it and it will be fixed... But I am sure my issue will not be fixed with just a adjustment cuz it gets so fogged up I have water dripping from my windows.

Does anyone have a repair to this?
Or has found a kit on line to where they sell the window and door seals?
I cant really find them.

Also does anyone know how to fix the seal on the out side of the window, the black seal... gets faded with bad weather and just chips off?

I have looked and didnt find anything please help me out on this, winter is here in WA, and well I am sick of frozen windshield on the inside of the car.
By teal_dx
#284532 You have moisture inside of your car and when you shut your car off and it's toasty and humid inside and freezing outside, you get condensation on the inside of the glass which will freeze. Before you replace the seals (unless they are visibly leaking) Be sure your carpets and floor mats are completely dry. Also a few mins before you get to your destination, turn the heat off so the temperature in your car won't be warm when it is sitting empty.

Check the DIY list, there's a tutorial there for repairing the chipping window trim. :thumb:
By Hatch-O-Doom
#284544 My carpets are completly dry, No wetness nothing, Heat gets turned off as soon as it warms up in the car. But what I am taking about it there is alot of humidity coming in from the outside. I can understand a little but.I got the RainX window cleaner to stop it. helps a little but humidity still forms up really bad over that and starts to drip on dash and everything.

I found the trim repair. The DIY section in nice, I looked pretty much through everything last night, spent way to much time on it. :thumb:
By deschlong
#284973 More likely you have a seal leak somewhere. Might be around the rear hatch area, or else the lower front windshield (but if you have dry mats then you might be OK). Water is getting in (or more likely, is ALREADY in) and x2 what Teal said above. Try leaving a window open a crack to let some of that moisture to escape after you park it... however that will not solve the root of the problem.

I used to have to take a scraper to the inside of my car just to see out the windows. It was bad. I fixed the hole at the rear and it got better.
By ImThaBean
#284982 Just a idea. Are you using the recirc? What Teal said is true, this usually happens the most after a rain/snow where you drag in moister. But in a small cabin area you get humidity and heat from bodies. It happened to me A LOT in the hatch and my work truck. I use recirculate to heat the cabin while the car warms up, once I get in I turn it off and let fresh air in. Works for me.
By tegpower18
#284986 are you using the recirculation or fresh air?
By Hatch-O-Doom
#285004 Thanks for the imput!

I am using the freshair button... I am almost certain that its the seals around the windows. I will have to check the hatch area. I have noticed that I fo get some puddles in the hatch where the spare tire should be. Ill have to check that out when the car come back from the shop.

Also Does anyone know where to get new seals?
By deschlong
#285005 If there are puddles ... well then that is where the moisture is originating. I *think* there is a drain hole in the bottom of the wheel well that you can open up to drain.
By Hatch-O-Doom
#285007 Its not that big of a puddle... but you can tell in the mornings, I left some paper towles back there one morning and they were pretty soaked. ... Ill start with that back there and fix it and see if it keeps happining...
By TrailerTrash
#285033 my buddy has the same problem in his EF hatch. he said the windshield has so much moisture on it that it drips onto the dash. yet there are no leaks into the car and its as dry as can be :?

my coupe on the other hand is leaky at the top of the door on the driver side and when it rains it drips lightly and dampens the carpet and sometimes the seat and it may staay damp for a few days if its raining for awhile. yet I never ever have a problem with moisture on the inside of the windows in the mornings. I always use the recirc cause my cars heat and very hot and it needs all the help it can get. and when its warm out and the heat isnt needed i never have the air on at all.
By Hatch-O-Doom
TrailerTrash wrote:my buddy has the same problem in his EF hatch. he said the windshield has so much moisture on it that it drips onto the dash. yet there are no leaks into the car and its as dry as can be :?

my coupe on the other hand is leaky at the top of the door on the driver side and when it rains it drips lightly and dampens the carpet and sometimes the seat and it may staay damp for a few days if its raining for awhile. yet I never ever have a problem with moisture on the inside of the windows in the mornings. I always use the recirc cause my cars heat and very hot and it needs all the help it can get. and when its warm out and the heat isnt needed i never have the air on at all.

Yeah mine is the exact same way... Lots of moisture on the windshield. but carpets are dry as can be... where I am at it is raining pretty much year round... and I would notice if water was inside... I know I am getting some good leaking in the trunk I will start with that and see where it leads me...
By OleFolk
#285056 By buddys miata fogs up real bad because its so small
He uses defog wipes on the inside of his windows and it works

I usually just keep the air off and my window open rain shine or snow
By Hatch-O-Doom
#285110 I have used the RainX anti fogger stuff and it really works well... no fog, but still moisture.
By deschlong
#285112 Find the source of that leak in the trunk. That is *most likely* your problem. Run a hose and get a friend to watch from inside. Helps to remove the interior plastics. Don't expect it to only be the rubber water seals. I had poor sealant from the factory along the edge of the body at the hatch. Leaked inside for years causing extensive rust. Boo, Honda.