Technical Topics specific to the Hatchback body - NOT where you post pics/build specs of your car.
By imtyson
#269072 so i made a huge mistake.

i "sold" my car to this guy and i agreed to let him make payments. (huge mistake.) but the thing is we wrote an agreement that if he doesnt pay by the end up sept i would get the car back. and he would pay me 200 a week.

i have his number and name. i even took a picture of his license and had witnesses to sign the agreement.

i text him and call him and he hasn't ever gotten back to me. except for one time saying he would pay me.

so i just need some help on what i should do... :cry:
am i at a total loss here or is there something i can do? please help me out idk what to do. :(
By poorman type-r
#269073 You took a pic of his license, go to the fuckers house and bea his ass. Then take your shit back.
By poorman type-r
#269075 Honestly though bro, if you dont want to do that. Personally if it were me I would kill the fucker, but you can take him to court. A judge will see exactly what he did to you and will either make him pay you or slap him with a fine and return the car to you and make him pay you for the time he had it.
By teal_dx
#269081 That was the worst possible way to sell your car. Even if you had all the proper paperwork done by an attorney to make it legal, he could still run off with your car and never be seen again.

He could have shown up at your house to buy the car with a stolen plate on his car and a fake ID.

I'd call the police first and report the car stolen before he gets too far.
By EG {FIVE-500}
#269086 x2 ^^^^. me personally wouldn't sell a car that way unless its family or a close freind even then i would have to consider it. not sure about ur law but ours is if you have the keys u are the owner it even says on the v5 document that this is not proof you are the legal owner of the car. but if you didn't sign the documents in his name you could do what teal says and ring the police and say he come to buy it, got in it and drove of but i would deffo ring the police it could go one way or the other. but he could turn around and say he payed you after the agreement was made its going to be a difficult one unfortunately. hopefully it is a lesson learnt for you. but i would deffo ring the police and see what they can do
By imtyson
#269103 so you guys think my best bet would be to call the cops?

when he went to go check the car out he used his friends number. lucky i saved his number too and his friend said he wasnt going to pay me.i asked him if we could stay in touch so he can help me out. he said it was cool because they guy is a worthless piece of shit and he has done it with a chevy before. and he has screwed him over so they are not friends. the thing is he has the titles but in the agreement it says if he doesnt pay by early sept i would get the car back.
By Mr. Pink
#269116 NEVER give a title til a car is paid for in full. by saying that you just screwed yourself. the car could be titled in his name and insured, so you'll be SOL.
By EG {FIVE-500}
#269117 ummm yea i would deffo call the police the minute i got an inklin he wasnt going to pay. imo it sounds like there is somethink not quiet right about his freind if he is not freinds with him why is he letting him use his mobile to scam people out of their cars thats what i would be thinking. so imo i dont think his freind is much help to you either. but deffo inform the police as soon as. if you dont no him from adam he could have plans for these cars he scams i.e robbery,kidnapp ect ect there are some sick people out there. hope you can do somethink and hopefully it comes back to you soon and sorry if i have put thoughts in ur head its these things u need to think of just to protect ur self so dont hesitate
By teal_dx
#269118 You gave the car away when you gave him the title :( I don't even know if you are still the legal owner since he has all of the legal proof of the car.
You should post pics of the car so local members can start to keep an eye out for it. Even if you stole it back, he still has the title. Sounds like this scammer knew exactly what he was doing.
By imtyson
#269133 darn :( that totally sucks.

well his so called friend said he used to be friends with the guy till he screwed him on something. but i told him to give me the guys address. he said he can do that for me.

but his name is RITCHIE V RHINE. he lives in albany oregon. his number is 541 971 5951.

idk what else i could do. any idea where i can start? because its been 2 weeks.
By asianrob
#269167 you didnt sign the title over did you?
By imtyson
#269186 i don't believe i signed anything on the title. but he has the title.
By imtyson
#269192 i have asked a lawyer about the situation and he told me this ,

You are going to have to sue him in small claims court (assuming you sold the car for less than $5,000). The specific form of relief you seek is called replevin, which means you ask the court to order that which is wrongfully in possession of another to you.

Google "replevin" and you will learn a bit about it. I'm guessing this is not worth hiring a lawyer to help you prepare for, and no matter what, lawyers cannot represent you in small claims, so help in preparing is the limit of what they can do.

You are also going to want to make sure to line up your witnesses to take to court and have all your documentation with you when you go to court. Make sure you provide copies of all documentation to the court to prove your case. Make sure you serve the other side with copies of whatever you give the court, even if you know they already have it, serve it again.

anyone know how easy this could be to sue someone? or is it a long process?
By RWMIII
#269201 ^^small claims court is relatively fast from my exp. 90 days total on longest suit, 45 on shortest.

To the OP: do you still have the vin number written somewhere? I would go to the dmv and ask them if it is still titled under your name. If it isnt they wont tell you who, but if it is you can get a replacement copy of the title, just say that it was misplaced. This will keep him from being able to transfer it out of your name.