Appearance, Paint & Body Work
By teal_dx
#176964 yeah i clean it off with some degreaser and spray it out. It's cleaner to handle so you don't get oil on your hands when carrying it and contaminate the surface you're about to paint.

No need to oil the inside, it will get oiled the first time you drive :thumb:
By pinky
#177126 I'll stick with powder coat.
By jerko
#201466 Is it ok to re-use the vc gasket if it comes off in one piece? Or do you recommend installing a new one?
By teal_dx
#201477 you can try using the old one again, just keep it clean.

if it leaks, then you know you need a new one, or the rubber grommets on your vc bolts are old and worn out.
By jayEGR
#201651 i painted mines blue but need to redo it paint started runin but ill take a pic an show but heres one far away with my hood upImage :thumb:
By 2fast4u
#218349 would dupli-color zinc chromate primer work the same? it says its for aluminum and galvenized steel surfaces.
By teal_dx
#218357 They only sell that stuff up in Canada, We don't have it here in the US. I'm guessing you guys get that kind instead of the self etching primer?

Maybe it doesn't meet US's VOC requirements... But yeah that should work fine for the valve cover :thumb:
By 2fast4u
#218358 awesome :) i plan to start painting it tonight :thumb: i got that primer some duplicolor blue engine enamel and duplicolor engine clear coat :) also does it matter if i cant get every nook and cranny of dirt and crud? like in between the timing belt cover region and the main part there is a very tiny space that i cant figure out how im going to get clean. and is there other parts in the engine bay that can be painted?
By teal_dx
#218408 get a tooth brush, the valve cover must be spotless before you paint :thumb:

You can paint anything metal on the engine if you wanted to... Just don't pull a Ej2-B16a

wow it's been almost 3 years and nobody has topped that yet :lol:
By 2fast4u
#218461 :lol: LAUGHING MY ASS OFF! ahahaah no i wouldn't do that... that is funny though.. i was just thinking about painting my fuel filter but i think im going to just buy a blue AEM fuel filter and fuel rail :) ohh and some NGK wires :hehe:
By 2fast4u
#218794 finished my valve cover :) forgot to snap pics after every coat, but heres what i got
Before anything was done.^

Primed (6coats)

Painted(6coats)

Sanded :)

All done. Clear coated(4coats) went a little heavy on the last coat and you can tell above the spark plug holes a weeee bit :thumbdown:
but im happy with it, this was my first time doing this so i cant be too upset with the job :woot:
By eg4life
#221224 if i take my valve cover off will i have to replace the gasket or should it be fine ?
By Digs
#222257 powder coating is another option which works well, lots of colours availiable and you can sand down on the honda emblem to make it shine effortlessly
By JohnAWESOME
#227600 Hey I was thinking about doing this soon and was wondering I have a Vtec-E and was thinking about painting the vtec and the e different colors than the rest of the valve cover. just wondering if I should buy a big rattle can of the colors I want or is there a paint that I can use that is in a smaller container