Appearance, Paint & Body Work
By jadeydrag0117
#319460 how do you get rattle cans paint jobs to shine like they were painted at least with enamel paints?
how does sanding it before you paint it and after work? what is the work that you need to do to make it look less rattle canned "good"
to make the end result look excellent and shiny =) or at least look smooth.

teal's eg is a good example of what i mean as "good"
By Ajax1989
#319461 Spray even coats and use a clear and let it dry for a few days then.. Use wet sandpaper start with 1500 then 2000 after that use a buffer and rubbing compund and buff it out.. It should shine
By teal_dx
#319463 YeP that's what I did, except l let mine cure for a couple years because I was lazy. Be sure you do enough coats to take some off when wet sanding. Also be careful sanding & polishing on corners and edges because it is easy to go through the paint.
By FG2_Andrew
#319465 i think i'm gonna rattle can mine too. what did you do for a process:

2 coats
cure
sand
clear

or 2 coats
clear
sand
clear?
By jadeydrag0117
94_jdm_ferio wrote:Spray even coats and use a clear and let it dry for a few days then.. Use wet sandpaper start with 1500 then 2000 after that use a buffer and rubbing compund and buff it out.. It should shine

do you sand after you do the color coat then paint again, then clear then sand again?

waiiit... lol what does sanding even do?

teal_dx wrote:YeP that's what I did, except l let mine cure for a couple years because I was lazy. Be sure you do enough coats to take some off when wet sanding. Also be careful sanding & polishing on corners and edges because it is easy to go through the paint.

hmm that makes sense.
By jadeydrag0117
EH2_andy wrote:i think i'm gonna rattle can mine too. what did you do for a process:

2 coats
cure
sand
clear

or 2 coats
clear
sand
clear?

i was thinking about painting my car too... did some research for paint and i came across this.
you might want to check it out, good example of a good paint!
idk how much this stuff cost though or what other colors they have. im hoping they have some type of oem black.

http://vfrworld.com/forums/general-vfr- ... -bike.html
By teal_dx
#319475 I didn't use any clear on mine. 7 coats of rustoleum, last coat was a wet (heavy) coat. I let it cure for a couple years although a few months would have been fine. Then I wet sanded with 1500 grit to knock down any orange peel, followed by 2000 grit. Then I polished using a medium compound with an orbital buffer and then a fine compound. Then last I did a coat of wax by hand.
By Ajax1989
jadeydrag0117 wrote:
94_jdm_ferio wrote:Spray even coats and use a clear and let it dry for a few days then.. Use wet sandpaper start with 1500 then 2000 after that use a buffer and rubbing compund and buff it out.. It should shine

do you sand after you do the color coat then paint again, then clear then sand again?

waiiit... lol what does sanding even.

Only if you have runs.. That why u do light coats
By jadeydrag0117
94_jdm_ferio wrote:
jadeydrag0117 wrote:

waiiit... lol what does sanding even.

Only if you have runs.. That why u do light coats

so will buffing make it look better than this job
>> trying to avoid this type of cheap look and make it look real glossy and shiny, idk what the problem with this rattle can job was. looks good but doesn't have that type of glossy look you know what im saying?
By trackEG4
#326944 TBH I wouldnt wetsand this unless you know what you are doing - would be too easy to sand too much .... other problem is that you dont know how thick the clear coat is.
Id start by using a rubbing compund on a rotary polisher. It will have the same effect as wet sanding but you would be less likely to go through the laquer and hit paint.
Try doing it on a wing or an un noticeable area - that way if it goes wrong you only have to paint a wing etc...
other option would be to re clear coat the car - this would allow you to wet sand and polish without worry of the clear getting thin.... more work involved with this option so its defo worth trying to polish it first.
Good luck whatever you do :)