Appearance, Paint & Body Work
By Rauch
#296542 Hey guys,

I somehow found myself back in the Honda game :thumb:. Between the price of gas and the money pit I fell into with my Camaro, I figured it was time to start a new project.

I picked up a '95 Sedan just the other day. (Yeah, I felt the need for a change from hatchbacks.)

Anyway, something I didn't notice at first glance with the car... The floor panel in front of the rear driver side seat is rusted through. Oh that familiar feeling of the back of carpet. Somehow it rotted through that plastic underliner. Anyway, I found myself a new project without meaning to. Than again, it's not a bad thing. It helps me learn bodywork a bit more, and it's not like I'm doing it on something overly expensive. But what could I expect for $800, and a trip to the beach to pick it up?

So, replacement quarters and at least that portion of the floor panel... What a fun way to start out. At least the paint is pretty bad, so I'm not worried about that!

I was just looking on Majestic and see that their site hasn't gotten any better over the course of 2 years. Hah. So, I may have overlooked it, but are those plastic under liners available to purchase?
By teal_dx
#296574 Not sure which plastic liner you're looking for or how the plastic could rot through. Can you post a pic of the part you're looking for? I'll see if I can find it :thumb:
By Rauch
#296644 Thanks for the response, teal!

Wish I could get a picture, but right now it's pouring. It seems like it's some thin plastic liner that covers the entire under body from the dash back. Appears to be one big piece, something like you'd see underneath a Cadillac's engine bay, only thinner. It's contoured to meet the groves and extends to underneath the fuel & brake lines as well. The actual cover that protects the lines running back clips into it.

Quite difficult to explain without pictures, haha. I'll get them as soon as I possibly can.

I may just end up picking up a shell at some point and swapping everything over. It may be cheaper and more time efficient... But the learning experience would be nice.
By reyes09
#296788 isnt that just regular rust proof tar or w.e rubber coating they use to spray underneath?:S i think i know what you mean though i have to same problem as far as floor rust goes:(
By cjw_89
#297239 Cut out the rot, clean and prep metal,weld through primer,and weld the panel over the existing one(that was removed) so it has something to rest on. Once done put a few cots of seam sealer on bottom and on top to get your rigidity back. I mean cut the rust out add about a 1/4" inch all around to the new panel so it rests on the good floor. If your real crazy go exact dimension and try to weld paper haha. I have a 140 lincoln mig with no gas,so that wouldnt be my optuon. but it gets the job done
By Rauch
#297452 Who knows what this mystery material is. Haha.

Anyway, haven't gotten around to ripping up the carpet yet. Just getting over strep throat, so I'll have to take a look quite shortly.

If this is just some tar type panel or whatever, I'll probably end up ripping it out since it's pretty bad where this rust is and using some por15. Just hoping the remainder of the floor isn't so bad... Still have some mechanical work to do. The springs look like the came off the titanic. :hehe: Mysterious rattles and lifter ticks, and whatnot.

If the floor panel isn't too bad and there's no bolt holes in the location, I may have found a nice little use for the stop sign on my wall.

Seeing by the bad bondo job and condition of the QP rust, I'm thinking I know what's going on with the rockers as well. (i'm no expert, but this bondo job is BAD!)

So, soon I shall find the fate of this car. And if worse comes to worse, I have something to take in the woods. :thumb:

On another note, I find it quite funny how 3/4 door panels are automatic, but not wired & missing switches except for the drivers, the single power mirror, the one door that opens from the outside but not the inside and the other that opens from the inside but not the outside. A bucket full of suprises with this thing!
By Rauch
#297499 Sorry for the double post - Just took a couple quick photos.

Worth fixing, or does it affect the chassis stability?

By Classiccarsrule85
#297504 anythings fixable its all in how much you want to spend really....

in my mind its a good beater since the rot looks like tis made its way to the lines and pretty soon not sure all of how long itll take but thats something that seems like its through but not 100% easiest way to tell if you can save it get a screwdriver and start poking and proding if you go through in area take a picture of where you go through .....hondas are unibody so any structure weakness is an overall weakness....
By Apexracing
#297588 That looks shot :thumbdown: