Appearance, Paint & Body Work

Sell it as a whole and write it off as a bad choice or part it out?

67%
33%
By Animal78
#289035 I don't really know what I am going to do with my little hatch it had some pretty serious hidden rust on the roof. Also around the hatch opening and some on the passenger side quarter panel.

Here are some pics your thoughts are appreciated. It looks like I am going to have to start over though.

Passenger Side Rear Wheel arch.

These next pics are of the roof channel on the passenger side.

Drivers Side wheel arch

Hatch opening. Several shots of the rusty spots. I haven't tried to clean this up at all yet but if the roof is a sign of things to come then I don't have high hopes.

So any ideas are appreciated. I think I want to find a shell cause I have everything else.
By TrailerTrash
#289038 :shock: :shock: :shock:

holy rusty mcgee!

id torch it apart and take it to the scrap yard
By Apexracing
Stank.EG6.Stay.Nasty wrote:any rust is bad rust!

Any amount of rust is repairable. Im sorry not all of us come from a state where cars can be had rust free. Rust is best repaired by cutting away and replacing metal. No better way to do it really.
By Stank.EG6.Stay.Nasty
Apexracing wrote:

Any amount of rust is repairable. Im sorry not all of us come from a state where cars can be had rust free. Rust is best repaired by cutting away and replacing metal. No better way to do it really.

i was raised in delaware and owned 3 civics with rust before i joined the military and got stationed in san diego... i know the whole rust situation... cutting, welding, body filler, and primer.... did it so many times that i got sick of it... i got lucky with my car here... there are beaches here and cars do develop rust its just isnt at a accelerated rate as the north and northeast.
By Apexracing
Stank.EG6.Stay.Nasty wrote:
Apexracing wrote:

i was raised in delaware and owned 3 civics with rust before i joined the military and got stationed in san diego... i know the whole rust situation... cutting, welding, body filler, and primer.... did it so many times that i got sick of it... i got lucky with my car here... there are beaches here and cars do develop rust its just isnt at a accelerated rate as the north and northeast.

Good then quit hating on rust lol in some cases it can be fixed rather easily. But when it comes to the roof idk its a tough call.
By Animal78
#289087 Well I have started looking for a shell otherwise I am going to check junkyards for a hatch I can cut the entire roof off of.
By Apexracing
Animal78 wrote:Well I have started looking for a shell otherwise I am going to check junkyards for a hatch I can cut the entire roof off of.

If you can find a si roof that would be sweet
By 1-low-92-EG-Sedan
#289092 it all depends on how involved you want to get...i recently just found some hidden rust myself...and like Apexracing said...SI roof would be cool...it gives you a good reason to do it :thumb: :lol: ...sooo if yu dont mind getting so involved id say keep it and do the new roof and wut ever else you have to do get rid of the other rust...otherwise scrap it..
By Stank.EG6.Stay.Nasty
#289095 who wouldnt hate on rust??? it can detroy your car... literally rot away
By Apexracing
Stank.EG6.Stay.Nasty wrote:who wouldnt hate on rust??? it can detroy your car... literally rot away

Well hating on rusty cars haha
By teal_dx
#289123 I have never seen a roof rust like that :(
I'd say find a new shell and start swapping your parts over. If that much of the roof is already eaten through my rust, imaging what's happening behind the rest of the body. For the time and $ you'll put into a new roof and rear quarter panels, it's easier to buy another hatch with little or no rust.
By Apexracing
#289125 Yea that is pretty nasty
By Animal78
#289136 I already fixed it. It was easy and only took a couple hours. Now I have a different hatch in my garage. Its made by ford lol. One pretty nice t top 86 mustang gt. The guy just really wanted the hatch. It has no rust no leaks and runs decent. I will post some pics later. :thumb:
By Apexracing
Animal78 wrote:I already fixed it. It was easy and only took a couple hours. Now I have a different hatch in my garage. Its made by ford lol. One pretty nice t top 86 mustang gt. The guy just really wanted the hatch. It has no rust no leaks and runs decent. I will post some pics later. :thumb:

You traded that rust bucket
For a v8 mustang gt? Damn you got game.