Appearance, Paint & Body Work
By yashep
#26789 I have a question about rust. I have a '93 SI and i've been trying to paint it cause the paint is fauk, it has a couple of dings and almost no rust in the quarter panel (we dont have snow here). As y'all know they come with sunroof and my problem is a big a$$--hole :hehe: in the pillar -right where the drain tube comes down- aprox. the size of a nikel. the problem was that the tube doesn't go all the way down (it don't appear to be cut or anything) and had a small piece of foam where the water collect until it rust though. How can I fix this, some dude told me to buy a roof at a junyard but here in Puerto Rico its nearly imppssible to find one in good condition and for a fair price. Can I just eliminate the drain and pour rust converter before fixing it? Will it keep on rusting? What can I do???
I'd post pics from my car and the hole but the thieves broke into my house and took some things that they needed :x
Any help will be appreciated.
By ohDirka
#26902 did it rust all the way through to the exterior?
By yashep
#26907 yep, it's located between the door weatherstrip and the pillar. If only I could find a pic it'll be a lot easer to explain. If you open the door all the way and look at the pillar bar the hole would be exactly where the dash meet with the pillar. I'll see if I can find a pic.
By chnzgoofball
#26928 post a pic and most ppl here that has dealt with rust will tell u whats up :thumb:
By yashep
chnzgoofball wrote:post a pic and most ppl here that has dealt with rust will tell u whats up :thumb:

that's what i'm trying to do, I don't have a camera right now, mine got stolen. as soon as I find one i'll post it because I would like to save it. it'll be a shame to have to sell my eg. It's not the prettiest one but i love it :lol:
By yashep
#27055 Finally got some pics here they are:
There it is, eating away my baby...

Hope it can be fix, and that all you guys can help me out
Thanx!!
By asianrob
#27058 damn might have to cute a peice of metal and form it over it id unno
By teal_dx
#27111 there's no easy way to fix that :(

cutting out & welding in a new A pillar piece is the only way to be sure the rust is gone for sure. Or as mentioned above, I would just cut out and replace that tiny section. :thumb:
By yashep
teal_dx wrote:there's no easy way to fix that :(

cutting out & welding in a new A pillar piece is the only way to be sure the rust is gone for sure. Or as mentioned above, I would just cut out and replace that tiny section. :thumb:

Teal i found a roof for a 100 bux and was thinking to buy it but the hole is very low. What about if i pour a galon of rust converter down there and cut the tube. have any of you guys knows if that tube is normal, i mean, is way to short and even is i fix it by puting a patch there it will come back again. buying a new tube on the hardware store a longer one and replacing it. I don't know man im very piss. will post pics of the hatch soon I want everybody to see my project plan to finish by december :? the only thing keepin me on hold is that damn hole :cry: :x
By teal_dx
#27125 I'm not familiar with the sunroof drain or how the tube is routed. But if you know someone with a MIG welder, I'd cut this out and trade them a case of beer + pizza and have this patched up.
You might take of the plastic interior piece from the pillar and see if there is any way to get to the rust from the back side. If so, you can coat it with sealant and protect your fresh metal & welds from the inside
By Graham
#27149 You cant get to that from inside the car... the A pillar is a box section...

The tubes for the sunroof drain run down that pillar and rot your car, mine had it in a similar place, i just patched it up cos luckily it hadnt rotted right through and its been fine since

Id like to get a roofskin from a car without a sunroof - no more rusty messyness
By BAXTER_EJ1
#27162 What's the process like on taking a sunroof and putting it on a roof that originally didn't have it? :?
By yashep
#27220 I didn't put a sunroof on my car i own a SI it comes from factory but i know a couple of ppl that have put them on. in fact over here there's a couple of shops that do a pretty decent job putting aftermarket sunroof and they are good my uncle have a 1987 accord and put a sunroof like 12 yrs. and that thing doesn't have a spot of rust anywhere, that thing is factory like. (the sunroof, the rest of the car not so much)
about the patch Teal i think i'll do it and if Graham says i can have access from behind. by the way graham do you know if the drains go all the way down or if this is normal?
as you can see in the middle of the hole is the tube and it doesn't look like its cut or anything, so its prone to rot eventually cause water and moisture collect on the piece of foam at the end of it.
damn honda why are you doing this to us!!! :cry:
By BAXTER_EJ1
Graham wrote:You cant get to that from inside the car... the A pillar is a box section...

The tubes for the sunroof drain run down that pillar and rot your car, mine had it in a similar place, i just patched it up cos luckily it hadnt rotted right through and its been fine since

Id like to get a roofskin from a car without a sunroof - no more rusty messyness

Without a drain tube, like in my sedan w/o a sunroof, how does it work if you put one in?
By yashep
MKennedy86 wrote:
Graham wrote:You cant get to that from inside the car... the A pillar is a box section...

Without a drain tube, like in my sedan w/o a sunroof, how does it work if you put one in?

when they install the sunroof they make a drain by inserting the tube down the pillar just like your antena cable. But I have to ask you, are you planning on making a hole on your sedan to put a sunroof on? are you sure? remember once you make that hole all sort of things can happen, it might not be correctly made on it could leak or worst it could rust away all your roof, think about it twice and then some.