Appearance, Paint & Body Work
By newbie101
#210605 here's what I'm dealing with: I have a guy that will repair both my quarter panels and paint for 400 flat. I bought the car for 1300 and plan on keeping it for a long time, since there is nothing mechanically wrong. Does this sound like a plan? I am planning on doing it but my stepdad doesn't seem to think it is worth it. Here's the damage:

it's worse than in this picture and on the other side too.

let me know, Thanks!!
By teal_dx
#210608 $400 is a good deal, if he does the job right. That means cutting out the rotted areas and welding in new metal panels, then grinding the welds down flush and primering/painting.
Part of the problem is the inner wheel well will rot away sometimes. That part isn't able to be purchased and must be custom fab'd. It's much thicker metal than the outer panel, so most of it can be ground down and properly re-coated. Holes will need to be patched though.
If you only replace the outer skin and still have holes on the inner, you'll get water in your car when it rains.

So $400 for all that is a steal - too good to be true. Find out how he plans to do the repair. :wink:
By newbie101
#210660 That's what I thought. He is going to do it the proper way, I was able to sit in on one of his sessions and he cut it out and welded in new metal. thanks teal, any other opinions?