What fits best, Weights & Sizes
By LionHearted1
#281409 I'd like to paint them a nice glossy black color.

Examples:

I saw a pretty snazzy looking Fit that was rocking a set of these in every sense of the word.

I'd like to know what's the best kind of paint to use to get that sexy glossed look.
I was thinking High Temperature Paint because wheels do get awfully hot, and I would figure that regular spray paint would just chip off.

Anyone have any suggestions?
By teal_dx
#281433 Use a engine or wheel paint as these paints are usually enamel and tougher than a lacquer. A gloss black engine paint should look good, but remember prep is everything. Then when painting, practice on something so you can get a feel for the nozzle and learn how to make the final coat a "wet" coat (slightly heavier than the light coats) to fill in any misty coverage from the earlier coats. :thumb:
By TrailerTrash
#281464 gloss black Krylon spray paint and some gloss clear. there is no need to use high heat paint wheels dont get that hot.
By gtstripes
TrailerTrash wrote:gloss black Krylon spray paint and some gloss clear. there is no need to use high heat paint wheels dont get that hot.

there is a possiblity if your car is sitting in the sun for a whole day lol
By teal_dx
TrailerTrash wrote:gloss black Krylon spray paint and some gloss clear. there is no need to use high heat paint wheels dont get that hot.

A lot of krylon and non high temp paint is lacquer. Enamel dries harder than lacquer and is chemical resistant while lacquer is not- the reason engine & wheel coatings you see in stores are lacquer.
By LionHearted1
#282003 Alrighty, progress report...

I picked up a can of dark grey primer and two cans of black rust-olieum auto paint.

The guy told me that I didn't need clear coat because it was a gloss... this true?
By teal_dx
#282004 Clear can give more of a wet look sometimes, but more importantly, an extra layer to wet sand in case your coats end up with orange peel or overspray. You can always try it without clear first, then buy some if you need to.
By TrailerTrash
LionHearted1 wrote:
The guy told me that I didn't need clear coat because it was a gloss... this true?

you dont NEED clear but it will help give it more shine(if u get gloss clear) and it will help protect the paint