What fits best, Weights & Sizes
By egsedanguy
#121800 well i know you need sandpaper. i ment stripper to get the paint off rather than sanding the paint off. and i am almost sertent ima do this. i just have to wait for my scrilla so i can buy all the sand paper. plus i need a spair set of wheels to roll on cause i dont wanna do 1 at a time lol. and i have seen the clear on machined wheels but not on polished wheels. i see ppl with polished wheels all the time and they dont have clear on them, the water spots and ugly corosion gives that one away. and if polished wheels all came cleared why would they make polish for polished rim? :eh:
By iroccu
#121805 Not all wheels come with the clear but alot do... Im just telling you what Ive done by experience. Obviously they are your wheels and you can do what you want. Im just tryin to help. Good luck with whatever you do. I want to see the end result. :thumb:
By egsedanguy
iroccu wrote:Not all wheels come with the clear but alot do... Im just telling you what Ive done by experience. Obviously they are your wheels and you can do what you want. Im just tryin to help. Good luck with whatever you do. I want to see the end result. :thumb:

o ya man i totally know what your talking bout it was just i never see a nice set of polished wheels with clear on them. all painted and machined wheels i see with clear, mine is starting to come off. but if i were to clear them would it afect the shine??? how long will the clear stay? is it going to start lifting after a year or 2? its just i havent seen this diy polish wheels till just like 30 min ago. and trust me i take all the advice i get. i just wanna make sure when i do it its done right the first time. :thumb:
By iroccu
#121809 I had a set of polished wheels years ago on a Mustang I had. I bought them brand new and they had no clear on them. They cleaned up to like chrome with polish but i had to polish them almost everytime i cleaned the car. Then I had a Camaro that I decided to take the wheels off to polish and my buddy who owns a body shop told me to clear them when i was done. And i said the same thing as you "will it affect the finish, and will it last?". He took the wheels and cleared them for me and it was night and day as far as mantainence. They looked just as good and they cleaned up so easy. I had the car for 2-3 years after that before i sold it. The wheels still looked good when i sold it though. Take in consideration I only drove the car in the summer...My buddy did tell me what he used was specifically for wheels though. It wasnt just any clear. :wink:
By egsedanguy
#121812 so somewere out there is a special rim clear coat? well since i work at a body shop i have axxces to clear but i dont understand what the diff in clear would be.... hummmmmmmmmm. well ima talk to a painter over here and see what they say.
By iroccu
#121817 If you work at a body shop you should know that regular clear that you put on a car is hard and flakes. The clear that is put on wheels is flexible like a rubber almost... I also worked at a body shop for about 6 years as a painter. That was when i polished a few sets of wheels, motorcycle frames and parts. Unfortunately i wasnt the one that ordered the supplies so i dont remember what clear was called, but it definately was different.
By egsedanguy
#121824 ok well i just talked to one of are wheel repair guys that comes out and fixes all are messed up wheels. he said that there is a special clear but has never seen someone use besides the factory polished wheels. he said dont clear them. also the painter said he would not clear them. both said it defets the puropse of a polished wheel. so i will not clear them. i have had 10 do not clears and only 1 person say clear them. im gonna polishe them and every time i need to i will do the wheels also. i mean if you wax your car for 3 hours what an extra hour to polish the wheels up to. :thumb: so next step is spair wheels :twisted:
By iroccu
#121829 Thats cool... Good luck. I cant wait to see them anyhow. Im sure theyll be sweet. :thumb:
By teal_dx
iroccu wrote:Ive done this several times. Polish only is cool but youll be polishing them all the time if you dont clear them. If you clear them with wheel clear coat you will only have to spray them off when washing the car or used wheel cleaner. That would be why wheel companys clear there wheels before selling them, even the polished ones.

Just keep a coat of automotive wax on them and they will keep their shine. Mine look as good as they did 2 yrs ago. Of course, don't even think about using them in winter where they put salt on the roads. Companies clear coat because the average consumer doesn't think about taking care of the finish, just washing the wheels. Even harsh cleaners can begin to corrode bare aluminum. Wheel companies save themselves the headache of warranty complaints because people are too lazy/busy to take care of their bare polished wheels.
By iroccu
teal_dx wrote:
iroccu wrote:Ive done this several times. Polish only is cool but youll be polishing them all the time if you dont clear them. If you clear them with wheel clear coat you will only have to spray them off when washing the car or used wheel cleaner. That would be why wheel companys clear there wheels before selling them, even the polished ones.

Just keep a coat of automotive wax on them and they will keep their shine. Mine look as good as they did 2 yrs ago. Of course, don't even think about using them in winter where they put salt on the roads. Companies clear coat because the average consumer doesn't think about taking care of the finish, just washing the wheels. Even harsh cleaners can begin to corrode bare aluminum. Wheel companies save themselves the headache of warranty complaints because people are too lazy/busy to take care of their bare polished wheels.

Good points... Thats the point i was making that it makes for easy maintenance, but its not neccessary. By the way teal, your DIY was great, the wheels looked great. :thumb:
By egsedanguy
matt is (eg6) wrote:white with purple lip!!! ftw :woot:

lol ya that kind what i was thinking. i think ima paint the rotas white with a purple lip. buttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt i also want to get another set of rims and polish those. that way i have the options of changing rims whenever i want. i want somthing with a nice offset and deep dish. i have seen some that i like that are polished and are sexxxxy. but i dont think i can swing an extra set of wheels right now im kinda broke and have other things to do with the car first, like paint it lol. but i will do a polished set of wheels. if a set of rims come round for cheap i might just pick them up and polish them then flip them for a lil more :thumb:
By misir00
#122163 TAKATA GREEEN :thumb:
By egsedanguy
misir00 wrote:TAKATA GREEEN :thumb:

well that wont match to what i want, green wheels with a purple bay. barney mobile lol. i told my buddy with a eg coupe thats championship white to do his green. well he did the calipers for now lol.
By misir00
egsedanguy wrote:
misir00 wrote:TAKATA GREEEN :thumb:

well that wont match to what i want, green wheels with a purple bay. barney mobile lol. i told my buddy with a eg coupe thats championship white to do his green. well he did the calipers for now lol.

oh i didnt read the whole post :D so i didnt know your bay was purple
even a burnt lip would look nice because it has that purple shine to it but that cost some money, i saw a nice black em1 on green wheels today, it look sexd :woot: