Calipers, Rotors, Pads, Lines & more- OEM and Aftermarket
By EricM
#198195 I bled my brakes with brand new DOT 4 brake best fluid. I've bled the twice already and they actually got worse after bleeding. The pedal goes right to the floor once the car is started. New gold fluid is coming out... what is wrong? I have a friend pump and apply brakes, then I open bleeder valve... I even bought one of those $7 brake bleeding kits...
By chrono404
#198197 if brake fluid is still coming out then the bleeder needs to be closed or you have a hole in your lines.
By EricM
#198204 No no, when I open the bleeder valve, new fluid comes out when I apply brake pressure, so the new DOT 4 is definitely coming through.
By chrono404
#198209 When you bleed it are you making sure to keep the brake reservoir topped off, if you dont then air will just get back into the system.
By EricM
#198222 Yeah. I make sure that I don't let it go below half. The brakes got worse after the very 1st bleed and haven't improved. I just bled them again and still no dice. Pedal goes pretty much to the floor like its butter. These are BRAND new brakes with DOT 4 brake fluid...
By EricM
#198294 I bled them again... still no go... what am I doing wrong? I have my friend pump up the brakes then apply steady pressure. I open bleeder that is attached to tube and bleeds into the bottle. I close bleeder, he lets off. I'm getting new fluid... yet it still feels spongy. They felt better before I bled them. And yes I'm constantly topping off the master cylinder...

What is wrong!? :thumbdown:
By teal_dx
#198301 sometimes air can get trapped in the master cylinder.

Try slamming the pedal really hard or tapping the MC with a mallet to knock the air bubbles loose.

if it is starting to feel better, then keep going. Think if you have a 12 ft brake line going to the rear and there's an air bubble near the front... you're going to have to do a lot of bleeding to push that to the end.
By That One Dude
#198337 You could also tap on the calipers a bit. Sometimes a small air bubble will remain trapped between the fluid inlet and the bleeder screw. Happened to me when I put my Goodridge brake lines on my DC4.
By Eg6H2D
#198343 Wow i just installed my russell brake line kit on my Civic eg Si. i was getting that spongy feeling with the stock rubber lines. so i changed them. 1st day solid improved pedal feel. bleed the sysytem like it was supposed to be done. i also installed russell speed bleeders to simplify the process.
later in the day while driving i get the spongy feeling again and it's not right away. it's after driving for a few minutes maybe half hour or so. and when it's really warm out. . def all air came out. i could here it when i bled my brakes and see it. . Now im thinking it's my old ass Brake Master cylinder.
By That One Dude
#198344 That would be the next logical step.
By dbrooks
#198348 x2!

I would definitely go ahead an replace that bitch! you had the same symptoms as me and when i replaced that, it worked.
By EricM
#198849 1 new brake master cylinder later and another BIG bottle of Dot4 later... the problem still exists. :x
By Benj
#198875 how are you bleeding them?? do you have abs?? ...... dont smash the pedal to the floor that will screw up your master... tapping it with a hammer is a good idea... try cracking the lines at the master and both sides of the proportioning valve.. .. what have you replaced?? why did you decide to bleed your brakes in the first place...check to see if you have a ceased caliper and or a wheel cylinder..

if none of that solves the prob you may be stick with replacing:
a. all rubber oe lines
b. master cylinder
c. booster ( you said you already did that ?? )
d. wheel cylinder or Caliper ( if ceased )

Good luck hope that helps
By EricM
#198899 To bleed them I use the pattern: RR, LF, LR, RF. I have someone pump the brakes 3 times and apply pressure. I open bleeder valve. Close screw and then my friend lets off the brakes. Repeat as needed then go to next wheel in sequence. I have already replaced the brake master cylinder with a brand new one. I have bled all 4 wheels at least 8 or 9 times since replacing the brake master cylinder. Yes I bench bled the new cylinder when I was installing it. Nothing is leaking... :(

BTW I ran all the functionality and leak tests in the helm's manual. Everything is functional including vacuum booster, no stuck calipers. I have rear drum brakes if that helps? Check valve also works...
By Benj
#198902 ok well when ever i have bleed brakes i have always bleed rr lr lf rf, always start farthest away from the master.

try a new master cylinder some times they are pooooooop when they come from factory