Springs, Struts, Swaybars, Bushings, Tower Braces & more
By BLaCkSiLo
VegasCivic wrote:Yes they soften over time. Depending on road conditions, how much you drive etc will determine on how long they take to soften up. Mine took around a 3-4 weeks to really set in.

Ride quality IS sacraficed. IF you have stock suspension, you get better handleing but the quality doesnt become that bad.

If you have aftermarket springs and shocks...lol. Be ready to feel every pebble in the road.

ahh come on man, i just installed my black master kit and at the same time installed the skunk2 sport shocks/springs and i would say that the ride is better now than it was with just plain ebay coilovers. it's very responsive and absorbs and kills the bumps very quick with no bounce at all... took me like 3 days to install because of the steering rack and re-equipping my suspension but the change is good and i like it so far :thumb:

can i expect these to perform different over time?
By VegasCivic
#114744 They will settle in more from being under weight and become smoother, but still keep handling.

Hard to describe. Things arent as jerky :lol:
By BLaCkSiLo
#115094 okay, one last question...teal or anyone,

does the trailing arm bushing have a sleeve in it like the control arms? oh and did you disconnect the brake lines?
Last edited by BLaCkSiLo on Tue May 05, 2009 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By BLaCkSiLo
teal_dx wrote:it is attached to the arm, you do not cut it out. the new bushing goes in it. :thumb:

so there is no hacksawing then? just burn out the old rubber, clean the middle part, and sand/clean the trailing arm and that's it?

if so, can't be that hard right? did you drop and disconnect the brake lines? :eh:
By VegasCivic
#115152 yep. just burn and clean :thumb: .

I took the whole arm off of the car, which includes dropping the brake lines 8)

this one takes a long time to burn, thats why i removed it.
By teal_dx
#115171 I left mine on the car and torched it out and it took forever!

Getting the new one in would have been much easier had i taken it off the car.
A good time to upgrade to SS brake lines!
By redcivicsi
#115197 Urgh I forgot about doing this last week when I had to get a new set of struts, and LCA's installed :( why dont you just come down and install it for me. It would make my life so much easier
By BLaCkSiLo
teal_dx wrote:I left mine on the car and torched it out and it took forever!

Getting the new one in would have been much easier had i taken it off the car.
A good time to upgrade to SS brake lines!

wow man, what a pain in the ass! the trailing arm bushing was by far the worse, i left it on the car like you did and tried maneuvering it around with the e-brake cable all bound up, but i torched out the metal parts, used an air tool with a carbide bit and a wire wheel but took me like an hour to get it all polished up (on each side) what a PITA!

redcivicsi wrote:Urgh I forgot about doing this last week when I had to get a new set of struts, and LCA's installed :( why dont you just come down and install it for me. It would make my life so much easier

ha, yeah this was my suspension overhaul weekend, i replaced my steering rack, got brand new Sk2 sport shocks with skunk2 coilovers from my buddy for free, did ALL the bushings and threw in a front camber kit...needless to say i never wanna do that again :thumb:

we made our own press tool by take some thick plates of steel, plasma cutting some holes in them, getting a long ass bolt and a lot of nuts and washers and pressing that bitch in, just need an alignment now, damn thing is all screwed up now! haha

i'm kinda thinkin i should have just replaced the LCA's in the rear? but they don't come with energy bushings?
By VegasCivic
#115512 ^ function 7 LCA do.
By Coplies
#156997 So right now i have stock suspension but I have been thinking about getting a set of coilovers and doing the rear disc brake swap and figure as long as i'm taking it all apart i'll do everything at once. Would you guys recommend the poly bushings? Its a DD car
By egsedanguy
#157030 yes for your bushings, but if your changing our trailing arms to the ls ones i would sujest oem. everything else is fine. my girls teg has all poly and rides fine.
By lilmel2002
#173035 ok i know im extremely late on this topic but i wanna know where did u get the bushing set from and how much was it? and was it just the rear bushings or did it contain front and rear.....i need 2 upgrade my suspension extra bad
By teal_dx
#173055 I got it from Summit Racing for $120, but that was like 8 years ago. It came with all the front & rear bushings except for the trailing arm bushings, they were $18 extra. I wouldn't change them unless they are completely rotted out..