ECU, Wiring, Sensors
By teal_dx
#9620 So I had my EG all put back together ready for the photoshoot, and the last thing to do was start it. I put in fresh gas, and the fuel pump is not working at all. Everything is wired up, and I checked the 15 amp fuse in the back left corner of the underhood fuse box and it's OK. The pump is not priming at all, no whine when I click the key forward. I took the fuel line off before the fuel rail just to check and it's bone dry.
Any ideas on what to check? I'm going back to work on it Tuesday.
By teal_dx
#9624 I've been thinking about this all night, Everything worked fine a year and a half ago. A year and a half later it doesn't work... I wouldn't think the main relay would go bad from just sitting. So I'm going to check out the wiring.
I read on H-T that you can run + and - wires from the battery and if the pump primes, then the relay is probably bad. If it doesn't prime, then the pump is dead.
By chnzgoofball
teal_dx wrote:I've been thinking about this all night, Everything worked fine a year and a half ago. A year and a half later it doesn't work... I wouldn't think the main relay would go bad from just sitting. So I'm going to check out the wiring.
I read on H-T that you can run + and - wires from the battery and if the pump primes, then the relay is probably bad. If it doesn't prime, then the pump is dead.

i was just gonna suggest that... :thumb:
By Greasedmonkey
#9660 Anything can happen in a year and a half. It could very well be the pump.
By teal_dx
#9924 well, good news is that the pump works. I ran a pos and neg from the battery and touched the pump terminals and it worked perfect... Now I'm trying to find the fuel pump relay. I was told it is under the dash near the steering column, but there's not much there besides the main fuse box. there is a small grey box with a brown connector going into it behind the hood release lever... Could that be it? there is probably 8-10 wires in the connector...
By chnzgoofball
teal_dx wrote:well, good news is that the pump works. I ran a pos and neg from the battery and touched the pump terminals and it worked perfect... Now I'm trying to find the fuel pump relay. I was told it is under the dash near the steering column, but there's not much there besides the main fuse box. there is a small grey box with a brown connector going into it behind the hood release lever... Could that be it? there is probably 8-10 wires in the connector...

thats it!! it went out on mines too
By teal_dx
#9929 Ok, so when I turn the key to the start position (the last click before it turns the starter on) The main relay was making a click sound as soon as my key clicked into the last position. then about 2-3 seconds later, the relay would click again, a little bit louder than the first click.

I don't remember it ever doing that before I ripped the car apart... Sound like a bad relay to anyone else?
By ChicagoMike
#9930 I've never had this issue, but I just checked mine and it only clicks once. Bypass the relay and just run it to a switch. :wink:
By teal_dx
AddictiveAllMotor wrote:http://s90858418.onlinehome.us/techauto/civicrelay.html

Scroll to the bottom for our years. :thumb:

thanks!
from that link, I found this: http://s90858418.onlinehome.us/techauto/mainrelay.php

every single solder on my relay is a "dry" solder, the ones that tend to go bad. :lol:
By ChicagoMike
#9932 Hahaha, yeah, thats the origional link I used to get the previous info. :thumb:
By teal_dx
#9993 I tried to remove and re-do the solders like the link showed, but it did the same thing. I guess the relay was done.
But at least I learned how to solder on a circuit board...
Here's a close up of the relay, it's about the size of a big pack of gum. You can see I used a sucker thingy to remove the old solders before I put new ones down. But it still didn't work... Dealer has a relay in stock for $52. I'm going to go pick it up soon. :woot: