ECU, Wiring, Sensors
By teal_dx
#14653 This thread isn't meant to be a complete how-to, but I took a few pics during the install so time to share:

I have some gauges!

I made a gauge pod to go where my climate control was. The pod was my first attempt at fiberglass and was pretty much a disaster lol. I pretty much made it twice from the same mold, and ended up using as much bondo as I did fiberglass. I'll save that write up for another thread though.

I had Boost, Oil pressure, AF ratio, and Pyrometer (EGT).
But my pod only has 3 holes, so I had to decide which one I wanted the least. Originally I planned to have the Boost, Oil, and AF. But then I found someone sellling the EGT new in the box, so I picked it up since it's not a bad thing to have for a turbo setup.
So I was thinking about mounting the boost gauge on the pillar and putting the rest in the pod, but I like the pod so much lol.

It was a tough choice, but the AF ratio gauge was out. The more expensive Pyrometer somewhat replaces the AF gauge since your exhaust temps will be higher if you're running lean. Plus the AF ratio gauge doesn't realy match the others in appearance, so I'll mount that somewhere else by itself.

Then there's the appearance problem of having 2 Phantom gauges and 2 Pro-Comp Light gauges (with silver rings).
The 3 together would look better the same color. So I painted the silver trim with black primer to match the other 2 Phantom gauges. (no I couldn't just remove the ring, I tried.

While that dried...

I mapped out my dash lights and +12v ignition wires. I used this handy tool to figure out the original factory wires instead of running new ones from the fuse box.
As it turns out, both were right next to each other on a harness that was already right there in the dash.

wired up the light bulb sockets for the gauges.

tapping into the OEM harness. the red/blk wire was the dash light, the Yellow-red wire was the +12v ignition.

All wired up. I don't have my turbo installed yet, so I only hooked up the Oil pressure gauge for now.

final product:

I still gotta get a night pic 8)
By york62
#14662 looks sweet man i love the guage pod thata cool idea.

also i wish you lived closed... i coudl learn something from your wiring! :thumb: :thumb:
By -EJ1- COUPE
#14798 i could use a bezel like that myself teal :twisted:
By teal_dx
york62 wrote:looks sweet man i love the guage pod thata cool idea.

also i wish you lived closed... i coudl learn something from your wiring! :thumb: :thumb:

if you're ever up for a road trip to OH, you've got a place to go. :thumb:
The wiring is pretty simple once you get the crimping/soldering part down. That little screwdriver light looking tool (dont know the real name of it) is awesome though. Just clip the wire on the end of the handle to a ground, and then when you touch a +12v hot wire or anything +12v with the tip, the handle lights up. So I just turned the dash lights on & touched different harnesses until the handle lit up. Same for the +12v ignition source. Put the Key in and turned it foorward them poked around untill I found a hot wire to connect to. Then check it with the dash lights off / Key out to be sure it is not hot all the time.
By vtec_gloucester
#15070 looks good, great write up 8)

where did you put the heater controls? or have you just got rid of them all together?
By teal_dx
vtec_gloucester wrote:looks good, great write up 8)

where did you put the heater controls? or have you just got rid of them all together?

they're gone, along with the blower motor & heater core :woot:
it's just extra weight :D
By vtec_gloucester
#15083 lol, uber light weight y0! :D
By Sire
#15258 I'm sorry, but most of the time when Teal does a write up, I can't see the pics?! :?
By ohDirka
#15259 i like that gauge pod...makes the car even more clean
By teal_dx
Sire wrote:I'm sorry, but most of the time when Teal does a write up, I can't see the pics?! :?

these was another member who had the same problem. try making the security settings on your PC less sensitive. all the pics from the write-up live on the same server as the rest of the site, so I don't know what else the problem could be :?
By Darb 2k
#15320 zomg!?!?

wheres that climate control!??!

what if you get cold?

haha