ECU, Wiring, Sensors
By teal_dx
#12957 Does this ever happen to anyone else? Once in a while my speedo will cut out for a couple minutes, and then come back to life. It might hapen once or twice a day. I pulled the Vehicle Speed Sensor out when I filled my tranny, but re-installed it the same way. Is there anything else that could cause the speedometer gauge to stop working once in a while?
By asianrob
#12958 its probably the connection
By ChicagoMike
#12959 Do you happen to have a back up cluster that you could swap yours out with?? That way you can isolate if its the cluster or possibly the VSS.
By sqsi
#12969 Mine does this too, and if I smack the top of the dash it works again. sometimes the needle bounces around and sometimes goes all the way around to the pin. I have been trying to pinpoint the problem for a while now. I have resoldered a few connections thinking that was the issue, but it still does it.
By vtec_gloucester
#13102 used to happen to mine when i swapped the engine, ended up being a loose conection.

the speedo would bounce around on its own, would jump from 80mph to 180mph... my EG was uber fast :thumb:
By Greasedmonkey
#13129 Sorry, never happened o me..
By chnzgoofball
#13137 mines did something similar... when i hit about 35 mph it gets stuck and then it jumps to 45 mph and its ok from there hahaha :lol: :lol:
By stefan
#13141 It happened to me, it's something that happens to 5th gen clusters once in a while, it just dies on you, they're known for it over here.
It happened at about 240.000km or 150,000 miles.

I also had the fuelmeter in the same position (dead), so I swapped to a EJ1 cluster, no problems ever afterward.

Unfortunately, the mileage is now lower than the original cluster, but is almost the same as the engine is, and with all the things I've changed about the car, mileage is not so accurate anyway.

EDIT:
If you can try another cluster, and it works perfect, you know what it is...
Maybe you should ask a friend if you can borrow his?
By -EJ1- COUPE
#13179 mine did it all the time for more then minutes at a time it sucked i never new how fast iw as going
By teal_dx
#13192 I've been watching it... it seems that most of the time when it quits, it is right after I did some spirited driving. Often, taking a corner at stupid speeds will get it working again. :lol:
So I'm betting on a bad connection somewhere...

Until it starts cutting out more, it's not worth the trouble to sort through all the wires IMO. I'll live with it :D
By hondajunkee
#13193 mine dose it also, it bounces around then goes to zero, very annoying, some one told me it was my ICU, but who knows. i have a spare cluster so i might try that
By sTArviN
AddictiveAllMotor wrote:Do you happen to have a back up cluster that you could swap yours out with?? That way you can isolate if its the cluster or possibly the VSS.

this is what you should do... try swapping with either a working VSS or gauge so you can isolate the problem... if it still does that with both vss and cluster swapped... the wiring is the culprit then