Appearance, Paint & Body Work
By Xaser
#118709 I don't know if this turns them into the same as usdm's I've got a feeling not, but it does get your lights to illuminate all the way to the tailgate lights.

First remove the outer corners from the car and off to the kitchen we go.

So to start we need to soften the glue so we can take the lens off the light, so set the oven to around 100-125 deg C and place your light on an old baking tray.

Then put the lights in the oven for 2-3 minutes but please keep your eye on them as I am not being held responsible if you melt your lights.
WARNING! from my experience the time between the glue becoming soft and the lens getting a little soft is not much. so probably recommended to do this with a set of corners from the scrapyard.

So when the glue has soften, pry the lens off remembering to lift the clips that hold it on as well.

Now its dremeling time as the grey outer cover is glue to the reflector lens behind it so you need use a sanding disk and remove the outer edge until you get to the clear plastic as shown below.

You can then pop the back bit off, then very gently seperate the other grey bit fromt he clear with a screw driver should only be a little bit of glue holding it on now.

now just clean up and put back together. By placing the lens back onto the casing and back in the oven for about 2 minutes, and you should be able to press it home.

Finished product should look like this.

In the pic above i have left the reflector in on the left and removed it on the right, the pictures doesn't really show it but they look the same with just side lights, but with the brake light on the side without probably looks slightly better. But where the reflector sits the lens is not dimpled so you can see into the light which i don't like so personally i think i'm gooing to change then both to reflectors. Also don't know what the legalities are with these reflectors over here. Pics explaining what i mean below

I also added a mod ala Tim Linky :thumb: to fit a dual filiment bulb into the tailgate lights, but added a little extra flare so i can use, them both for fog and brake lights.

Sidelights

Side and Fog

Brake

If any wants to know how i did the last bit just shout and i shall make a DIY for it also.

Hope some people find this helpful. sorry fot the crappy pics and dirty car lol

Dave
Last edited by Xaser on Fri Oct 09, 2009 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By dyupol
#149584 nice one! how did you do the fog lights?
By Xaser
#149616 Yay someone took an interest, I had almost forgot how I did this.

As I said early I did the mod previously posted by Gorveatt

http://civic-eg.com/viewtopic.php?t=1465

Which consisted of going to the scrapyard and picking up 2 bulb holders from the outer lights as they are for dual filament bulbs cost me £1.
I was also using my USDM tailgate lights that had come with my tailgate, firstly because I think they looked better. The difference is shown in the images below.

but also because they had holes for bulbs in both tailgate lights as I believe they use them as side lights. But the UK ones only have a hole in the driver side one as that is where the fog light is but it will not be difficult to drill the other one out and Dremel the notches to take the bulb holder. You have to add new notches to the other one anyway as the single filament and dual filament bulb holders are different.

Gorveatt had done this so he would have all lights light up on side and when braking which I liked, but we also need to have a rear fog light over here, so I thought since the fog light is only a high intensity bulb like the brake lights I could just set it up so the tailgate ones were left on with the fog light switch is one and the outers came on when you braked, so people could still tell when your braking.(I don't know if this will pass an MOT, I do not see why not but will find out in February).

So to make the tailgate ones come on with both the fog switch and the brake I just had to build a simple OR gate, which consists of:

2x Schottky diodes ( I used 1A ones as I had them lying around (Maplin part number: JA46A))
1x 5K6 1/4w resistor (first one I came too, but it is just to pull it low so anything over 1K will do)

So below is the full diagram of how it is wired.

So you need strip back the brake wire(Green/Black) I did this were it runs along the bottom of the tailgate to go to the passenger side out light where the grey connector is to connect the tailgate loom shown in the picture below. I also cut the fog light wire(Red/Yellow) before the grey clip and soldered up the or gate as show in the full diagram. for the ground I just solder a bit of wire to a hoop connector and used the chassis ground that is there as well.

I also had to run and extra wire, I am sure this is cover in Gorveatt's DIY, as I had to add the functionality of the side lights. the connector there has a spare slot so I used that a ran the new wire in the tailgate loom.

Hope that helps if not just shout,
Dave
By Carl-Brit
#178896 do you have any clearer pictures of where you added wires to i want to make the tailgate lights come on with the outer brake and side lights i need to know where to wire the new bulbs to i allready gave it a go but it didn't work so i took it back out to standard leaving tape over the red and black wires where i cut the fog bulb out (for now)
By Xaser
#178899 I'm at work right now, but will try get some more pics, and make some more diagrams tonight.

I assume your running UK spec tailgate lights, if so you will need to get 2 dual filament bulb holders from the scrappies(I got mine from a set of outer lights at the scrappies) and drill out the the plastic on the passenger side tailgate light so you can get a bulb in there. You will also have to modify the the tab holes on the driver side so the dual filament holder will fit. Once you have done that connect the ground of the new bulb holder to the ground already there for the reversing light. Then run a wire from the high intensity filament side of the new bulb holders(if you got a set of outers like me that will be a green/white wire)to the positive of your fog light on the driver side(red/yellow).

You will then need to splice off the red/black wire(side lights) from inside the car and run that to the tailgate and connect that to the red/black wires on the new holders.

As standard only 3 slots of the 4 pin grey connector are used and I had spare bits so ran it through the last space in the grey connector so it could still be removed at a later date like standard. You could get the bits to do this whilst your at the scrappies.

So now you would have low intensity come on with stage one(side lights) on the stock and the high intensity will come on with the fog light button.

To get it to work off the brake cut the red/yellow wire before the grey connector heading to the tailgate. You could then just splice from the green/white(brake light) to the red/yellow.

Hope this is making sense if not just shout.

Gorveatt's original DIY may have the pictures you are looking for.

http://civic-eg.com/viewtopic.php?t=1465

As the only difference I did from his was to add the function so high intensity also came on with the fog light switch which I'm pretty sure we need for MOT's.

So to make them light for both brake and fog like I have it set up, you need to add an OR gate made out of 2 diodes and a resister shown in the diagram above. Where you feed both the brake and the and the original fog wire into and connect the out put to the fog wire heading to the boot.

As I said just shout if this doesn't make sense.

Dave
By Carl-Brit
#178903 i don't want the fogs to come on atm i will need to get hold of the diode/gate parts to do that or i may just add a fog light aimed out the rear window a bit later, for now i just want the sidelights and brake lights to come on i have bulb holders from a scrapyard but there is no other EG's in any of the scrapyards within 1hours drive been to loads of them so i gave up looking and got some out of a mitsubishi dual filaments just like the eg's but the 1 wires out the middle of the bulb holders are different colours which means i don't know which is for brake and which for sidelight...

if i connect them the wrong way i would just get brakelights on for sidelights and sidelights when i press the brake i think or would they just not work at all or blow the bulbs ?

so i need to know where i wire them to without making them work for fog lights ? pictures are going to be the best help i think i can wait untill you take some theres no rush just whenever you want :D

Groviners was done to add brake lights to the inner lights theres allready had sidelights in i think and his didn't really show where i need to wire them to
:?
By Xaser
Carl-Brit wrote:Groviners was done to add brake lights to the inner lights theres allready had sidelights in i think and his didn't really show where i need to wire them to
:?

Yeh but to do that he had to take out single filament and replace them with dual so kinda shows most the process. Thats why I linked it but yeh our good old UKDM's a little different as always as he doesn't have rear fogs either. :)

So yeh I will try and sort out pics for you at some point. :thumb:

The gate thing is pretty easy, cost pennies and also just to let you now my car just recently passed its MOT with this setup.

You could just put a bulb in your holders and put them across the battery to see which line does low and which does high then label them.

If you did wire them back to front, they should just light back to front I don't know if the fuse for sidelights is smaller than the one for the brakes or not. Worse case it would just pop the fuse but I doubt that would happen.
By Carl-Brit
#178909 thanks for the replies :) and yeah ill test them on the battery never thought of that im no good with car electrics i need pictures and explinations a 5yr old can understand :lol:
By Carfanatic
dyupol wrote:nice one! how did you do the fog lights?

get EDM rear lights :lol:
By Xaser
#178936 Carl I didn't get home until it was gone dark so pics might have to wait until the weekend.

Carfanatic wrote:
dyupol wrote:nice one! how did you do the fog lights?

get EDM rear lights :lol:

Haha yeh that is another solution :lol:, although he would only get a fog light on one side and wouldn't be able to use the tailgate lights as brake lights as well. Assuming you guys have the same setup as us.
By Xaser
#179713 It was a little late by the time i remember so pics are a little dark, and I wasn't up for taking the car to much to bits so hopefully these will help explain a little more.

Firstly if you have worked out which wires do high and low intensity filaments and have the holders fitting to the fitting we can start in the boot.

Run 2 new wires connecting the +ve of the high intensity's on either side of the tail gates together and the same for the lows.

i only have one there as it was a temporary fix for my MOT last year, I will put it in the loom at some point but at least I shows you.

On the passenger side of the tail gate strip back a bit of the ground(black) already there for the reversing Bulb and solder your ground form the new holder to that and tape it up(1).

Also in this pic you can see the white/green wire I have run across the tailgate, I have run them through the grey connector to be tidy but it does make it hard to follow. But the 2 newly run wires are connected to the low and high intensity +ve.

Now to the driver side, cut out the old fog light bulb holder, solder your ground for the new holder to the ground that was there for the fog bulb holder(2) and then solder the high intensity side to the red wire for that holder also(3)(green in mine as I changed the wire when running it through the clip.

Then solder a wire form the low intensity side and thread it through the rubber tube that goes from the tailgate into the car.

Now strip back the interior in the boot around where that rubber tube goes in, you should find a grey connector there.

You can then cut the red/yellow wire and tape of the end of it not leading to the tailgate as it will not be needed until you want to hook the fog back up.

Unwrap the tape from around the loom running along the back of the boot look for the green/white wire cut back some of the sleeving from around the wire with a Stanley knife or something. Now solder the red/yellow wire end you have to the opened green/white and tape it up.

Now look for the green/black wire do the same cut back some of the wires coating and solder your new wire you threaded through the rubber tube to that and tape it up.

And a little diagram to some it up, don't know if it helps much, been trying to do this off my memory was quite a while ago so I hope the colours are correct etc.

Hopefully that should be you done now.

If worst comes to the worst i could maybe take a drive and do it for you lol.

Dave
By Carl-Brit
#179930 thats 1 nice wright up a little complicated at first but when i got to the end i understand it all a bit better i'll take a laptop down to the car with me 1 night this week and attempt it, I'll let you know how i get on :thumb:
By Xaser
Carl-Brit wrote:thats 1 nice wright up a little complicated at first but when i got to the end i understand it all a bit better i'll take a laptop down to the car with me 1 night this week and attempt it, I'll let you know how i get on :thumb:

Cheers, I did find myself struggling how to explain it, it is an annoying one to do. Would make more sense in person but writing it up seems to make it look harder than it is, but seriously if you need a hand just shout.

DontHateonEG8 wrote:even easier way is to send me your UKDM tails and ill send you my USDM!
but its gotta be from sdn/cpe

lol true but would still have to do the wiring though :P, which is the annoying bit. [/quote]
By Carl-Brit
#180617 where do these go in the loop im going to go to maplins soon and try to get them is it best to wait and do the lights after i have them or do they just slip into the same loop as your last description ?

2x Schottky diodes ( I used 1A ones as I had them lying around (Maplin part number: JA46A))
1x 5K6 1/4w resistor (first one I came too, but it is just to pull it low so anything over 1K will do)

and what is the ideal parts to get if there is a good selection when i get to maplins ?