By projecthonda
Vtec engine

Materials needed:
1. LED of your choice 1 pc
2. Gauge 22 or thinner wire 4 meters
3. Electrical tape
4. 1 kilo ohm resistor

Procedure:
Mount the LED where you think it is most visible. At first I placed it in the steering clumn but I transferred it on the left side of the dashboard..

I bought a vanity light (or led light will do) in a local hardware shop. (Bright blue LED is my sample)

Connect the negative pin to the ground. Under the dash there are may screws where you can tap to get a negative ground.

Connect the positive pin to a resistor then solder the resistor to a wire.

Now there are two ways in order to tap on to the vtec line.

You can tap directly to the ECU. For ODB2, its the B13 pin of the ECU. for other systems just refer to the shop manual.

Or you can do it the easy way. Tap directly to the vtec solenoid socket! I just tapped it so no wires were cut or stripped. All you have to do is route the wire from the LED to the engine...

***from our local forum (the images posted came from a friend) :)
By asianrob
#27433 http://www.hazone.com/hvlight.htm

About this How-To:
Ok, your reading this, thinking "VTEC light? that is so rice" well, at one time I would have agreed with you however, I found a need for it. My main reason for installing the light is because, on the SOHC VTEC engine, you can barely feel the VTEC engage as it is much less tell whether or not it disengages in between shifts. So now with this light, I can tell whether or not I have let the engine go out of VTEC mode when I am racing. (More or less its just another gauge to give you information). So having explained myself, I have also included the installation instructions along with part numbers. Enjoy.

Tools Needed:
Soldering Iron
Drill W/bits
Other standard tools

Parts Needed:

Parts from Radio Shack:
Package of 330 OHM resistors Part# 271-1113
5mm LED of your choice, I choose a Blue on Part# 276-311
Roll of 18-gauge wire, I got a three color package of solid core but stranded would be better (solid core part# 278-1223 )
Snap-in LED mount Part# 276-079
Tap-in clips Part# 64-3052

Notes:
Alot of people ask if this will work on so and so model of such and such car. This will work on ANY VTEC motor of ANY year. The pin from the ECU is the only thing that may vary, It should always be Green with a Yellow stripe.

Figure out where you are going to mount your LED and drill a 1/4" hole.
Solider the two wires to the two leads from the LED (the longer of the two leads is the positive lead The shorter lead is the ground.) Solder the resistor in line with the ground wire (I soldered one end of the resistor to the ground lead on the LED and the other end to the wire) making sure that the wire is long enough to reach from the mounting location to the right side of the passenger seat near where your right foot would be if you were in the passenger seat).
Put one of the snap-in LED mounts into the hole that you made. Next insert the LED from behind, into the snap-in connector (you will feel a little click when it is in all the way).
Run the cable to the ECU location (near the right foot area of the passenger side). Take out the two plastic retainers for the ECU cover and pull off the cover ( it may take some force, but it wont break).
Unplug the two plugs that are closest to you on the bottom of the ECU (there are a total of three plugs, but you don't need to unplug the third). On the furthest plug of the two (the one for my car is Grey), locate the VTEC signal wire (Green with a yellow stripe). Once you find the VTEC wire, attach the positive lead from the LED to it using one of the tap-in clips. If you look under the glove box in the same side as the ECU, you will see a phillips screw, You can strip off some of the ground lead and attach it to this screw. reattach the ECU plugs and put everything back together and test it out.
If you did everything correctly the LED should come on when the VTEC engages. Here is a picture mine after installation (it is mounted on my Auto Meter gauge pillar) Image
By asianrob
#27434 lol posted another one i had it saved for a while lol and yes WORKS FOR ALL VTEC MOTORS BOTH ways soo yea
By flyinryan122
#32852 off topic question. i chipped my ecu and and as many of you know, you can make the check engine light flash as a shift light, so do you think if i tapped the check engine light and ran wires to an LED that is else where, it would work good for a shift light?
By flyinryan122
#32922 lol okay cool. i'll try it
By jdmeg6racer
#38353 so the resistor goes in line with the ground wire thats all
By a_CoUpE
#65699 is it possible to make my alarm light also the vtec light? or should i just get another light?
By smokinsoljah420
#72721 Thread ressurector! This ones for all the sohc vtec pimpin mofos out there with theyre check engine lights on and are pretty sure they know why. lol I was thinking about this. if you wire a light to the vtec signal on the ecu, hows that really telling you if the vtec is working, i mean since the electrical signal might be getting out to start the vtec process, but thats not saying its working fully right? :? i mean rob you even said its so barely noticeable how do you know its actually working? :? :D am i just being a nooblet and assuming the ecu would still throw a "signal" to start the vtec if it wasnt hooked up?
By Lincx
#74174 Today did that VTEC light mod... I actually put small red bulb inside my tacho. Looks great... But ligth comes on only at 5200rpm... I was wondering if thats normal, because i was thinking vtec chould kick in at about 4500rpm...
At what engine speed vtec should come on? Engine is D16Z6 Civic SI. Thanks!
By Macster
#74486 i already have this done and my z6 also engages at 5200 rpm so no worries unless both of ours are screwed up lol
By 95excoupeee
#80421 hey guys i was just wondering vtec should work sitting still right? if you just rev up. a buddy of mine has this done and hes using a 12 volt light so he shouldnt need a resistor cause the signal sent to the vtec solenoid is a 12 volt signal.
but when he revs up sitting still it doesnt kick on.
ive been looking around on here and from what im reading if im taking it the right way the 12 volt light should come on whenever the signal is sent so whenever vtec is enabled the light should come on.
sitting still or not..
i was just wondering. looking for some advice about it.
i have a light put in just havent wired it up.
thanks!
By BAXTER_EJ1
#80425 There are a bunch of factors that determine if vtec engages or not. Oil pressure, oil temperature, etc. If you start the engine cold and rev the shit out of it immediately, vtec WON'T engage.