General exhaust discussion & questions
By CyberDictator
#329206 Rules of the thread:
1. include any and all exhaust components
2. Include engine size and specs
3. Feel free to use this thread to discuss exhausts
4. Do not attack any members exhaust choice

Post in this thread should include:
1. a picture of your exhaust/headers/muffler etc.
2. also please provide the information in the list below

- exhaust/header/muffler etc. brand:
- where did you buy:
- cost of exhaust components:
- piping size:
- motor:
- a description of what you think about the exhaust (sound, loudness, performance, etc.):
- sound clip/video if possible

This thread is designed to help people looking at changing their exhaust setup so they can make an informed decision on the what they buy. Do not attack members and their setups. This is not a thread to say someone has a Fart Can ect…

*Thanks to EH2_andy for the general layout of the thread from his share your stance thread.*
Last edited by CyberDictator on Sat Mar 23, 2013 4:13 am, edited 3 times in total.
By CyberDictator
#329207 i'll get this started.

Yonaka Cat Back
- exhaust/header/muffler brand: Yonaka Cat Back
- where did you buy: TunerSports
- cost of exhaust components: $242
- piping size: 60mm
- motor type: B18B1

I bought this to replace the extremely loud exhaust that used to be on my car and by reading a few reviews determined it would be a good replacement that would be quiet but scream when you want it to. The tone of the exhaust is on the deeper side in the low revs but get a really nice tone when you get past 4k. The exhaust is big enough for a small turbo application which I have to put in this spring. I have the cat back paired with a test pipe as well as a separate downpipe and header. At the end of the day I would buy it again and recommend it to others as well.
Last edited by CyberDictator on Sat Mar 23, 2013 4:13 am, edited 2 times in total.
By FG2_Andrew
#329222 Image

*ignore my rust, shitty wheels, dents haha**

- exhaust/header/muffler brand: OEM D15B header w/ Yonaka catback
- where did you buy: eBay - $240 shipped
- cost of exhaust components: $0
- piping size: 60mm
- motor: JDM D15B Vtec
- description: nice, entry cost exhaust. has a nice tone.. not raspy, droney, or high pitched. though, i did find that my exhaust hangers are too low out of the box. my resonator hangs way below the rockers/skirts, which is my only complaint. since it's a cheaper exhaust, it is recommended that you try to keep it as clean as possible to avoid rust.

*** also, nice spin-off thread from my suspension one haha.
By HeikDiesel
#329224 Image

Header: Kidd-Racing header with modified 3" collector
Exhaust: 3" stainless built by JC Fabworks
Muffler: Virbrant 3" race muffler
Total Cost: $850

Engine setup is a b16a with a jackson racing supercharger @ 11.2psi

Overall thoughts on the exhaust are that it would be a little loud for a DD but since this car isn't I don't mind it too much. Exhaust is loud at idle all the way to WOT. Unlike some exhausts I've had there really isn't a way to make the car quiet by varying throttle or load. But I really like the look and the power it makes and that was the purpose behind it.
By Leppy
#329236 Image

Muffler: DNX axleback
Header: DC Sports 2-piece 4-2-1
Where: Second hand - $50
Cost: Custom piping ~$100
Piping size: 2.5 mid-pipe to 2.5 axleback to 2.75 out
Motor: B18C SIR-G (GSR spec)

The DNX axelback originally came off of an 03 ex coupe. I picked it up to put on my ex-wife's 05 LX sedan for a while until we took it off and put it into storage. It was deep and throaty with no rasp when it was on her car. When we did the motor swap for my EG, we took it to a muffler shop to get custom piping and my friend had them put some cheap 2.5 inch outlet for a 'stealth sound' since it was going to my friend's dad. When I bought it from him a year later (almost 2 years ago), the tip was rusting and had a leak, so my Dad and I cut the DNX's flange off and welded it to the existing pipe and eliminated all the leaks. It sounds quiet but deep when it idles, and maintains the deep tones all the way through redline. VTEC engagement is loud and distinguished. I would never change it. DC Sports 4-2-1 header installed (as well as a few other toys).

I uploaded a video to youtube I took today on my Android. It's not the best quality, but here it is: http://youtu.be/tm7kT6f3MHE
Last edited by Leppy on Wed May 15, 2013 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By nicksdelslow
#329272 95 coupe d16z6
Cold air intake
65mm edelbrock TB
Skunk2 intake manifold
Stage 1 cam
No name 4-2-1 header
2.5" cat delete (silencer style)
Skunk2 70mm megapower cat back

Purchased from a member of kcsr.org
$260 in new condition. Only used for few weeks before exhaust for k-swap

Solid deep tone, zero rasp fits tight and perfect no running or vibrating onto trim of the car.

Little loud. It's on my DD and never had and issues with noise and inside the car is more then tolerable. Personally I love it. Vtec switch over is audible as well.

I do not have a sound clip of it ill try to up load one soon
By panic989
#331657 I just want to start off with this... theses are the first pictures and specs I've ever posted of my car on a forum because in Arizona its super sketch. Way too many freaking thieves running around here, but this site seems pretty legit so here goes.

Engine - B18C JDM GSR with a LS tranny
Exhaust- Unknown Headers but they are 4-1 single piece, and a SPEC-D TUNING cat back exhaust
Piping Size - 2.5" header outlet and 2.5" cat back
Bought - Local tuning shop called "Built by Notorious", cat came from Amazon
Cost - $175 plus tax for cat back, and $60 plus tax and shipping for cat, so right about $250 for the header back

I bought this exhaust to replace the header back straight pipe. It was ridiculously loud and obnoxious at times. The exhaust itself was welded together from I believe 5 pieces of different piping ranging from 2.25" to 3" pieces. I had to pass emissions out here because I didn't have a hook up on emission testing anymore. :cry: I got the SPEC-D TUNING exhaust because it was the most money I had to spare at the time. Ballin on a budget :woot: :woot: . Overall I love the new exhaust. It is a really mellow sound. Not raspy at all like most Honda exhausts. If I put the silencer in it it is wicked quiet, cant even tell its with that in honestly. I don't have AC in my car so the windows are always down, but I do have full interior minus the deadening under the carpet. If someone were to ask me that it was I would recommend and it is relatively in expensive. Now onto the pictures. The first two are going to be the old exhaust when it is already out of the car, and the next two are the new exhaust in the car (sorry no header pictures for you guys just yet :cry: ).

Here is the old exhaust still on the car.

Some of the sweet weld jobs on the old exhaust.

The old exhaust sitting on the ground behind the car (notice the sweet ass bends at the muffler to get it to come out at an angle).

New exhaust in (it's the best picture I have of under the car).

New exhaust. It is still up in the air but you get the idea with the new tip.
By mADmAN
#331664 - exhaust/header/muffler etc. brand:
custom 4-1 header + 1 unknown centre bullet + exhaust cutout (using throttle body) + spoon street muffler
- where did you buy:
came with the car when i bought it
- cost of exhaust components:
no idea. came with the car when i bought it
- piping size: 2.5"
- motor:
B20V
- a description of what you think about the exhaust (sound, loudness, performance, etc.):
exhaust cutout open-
extremely loud during VTEC as the cut out exits right behind the drivers door. but sound is beautiful... idle is not that loud surprisingly.

exhaust cutout closed-
the spoon muffler gives a nice low rumble.. i use it whenever my 1yo son is in the car...doesnt bother him since its not that loud....but still sounds good.

comparison-
with the cutout closed, the car definitely feels heavier and doesnt rev as happily as the cutout opened... wat makes it worse is that most of the time when the cutout is closed, the a/c is on too...heh

- sound clip/video if possible
video clip of the comparison on a dyno...cant really capture the sound properly with my mobile phone as its too loud...but u get the idea
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PXU6yyTm93g

and HERE is a dyno chart (from a different dyno session than the one in the video)

pictures of the exhaust setup:
By panic989
#331665 You can sort of hearhear the difference in the video. Me personally I would have went a different route with the cut out trying to get it a little better in line with the exhaust rather than almost 180 on itself trying to get out of the hole but hey... To each his own. Sounds good though man.
By mADmAN
panic989 wrote:You can sort of hearhear the difference in the video. Me personally I would have went a different route with the cut out trying to get it a little better in line with the exhaust rather than almost 180 on itself trying to get out of the hole but hey... To each his own. Sounds good though man.

u referring to the picture from the bottom?

eeerrr... the source of the gasses is from the left of the picture.. so it goes straight out....not 180deg.

the pipe on the right of the picture that is "tapped" into the cutout pipe is the one that goes to the rear muffler..

so when closed, the gasses are forced into the the "tapped" pipe
By panic989
#331667 Aaaahhhh. Ok. I Couldn't tell you why, seeing how I have an eg, but I thought the front was Tue right side of the picture... Re re moment. I got it now. Makes much more sense now.
By nicksdelslow
#331761 Nice wouldn't have thought of throttle body. I have dozens of them setting around. :woot:
By Leppy
#331766 I updated my post, It's got a video now.