General exhaust discussion & questions
By kylenjdm93
#325507 I have been seeing some questions pop up asking about catalytic converters, thought I would post up some facts for you kids :thumb:

First off, you have to make sure that you have the correct type of converter for your car. If your car is OBD I compliant, you can use any EPA or CARB approved OBD I converter. If your car is OBD II compliant, your cat must be OBD II approved. As a general rule, any car 1996 or newer is OBD II and any car 1995 or older is OBD I. However, some cars were OBD II compliant as early as 1994, so double-check the under-hood emissions sticker. The difference between OBD I and OBD II cats is actually huge.

OBD II cats are required to remove 90 percent of emissions, while the OBD I cats are only required to remove 70 percent.

With this being said, lets say you install an OBDI instead of OBDII, your going to fail emissions :shock:

The purpose of a catalytic converter is to clean up the exhaust gases or Hydrocarbons if you want to get technical, taking out your cat in most states is illegal in California they impound and crush your car the next day, the laws are strict for good reason

I am a big cat fan, there is no absolute proof as to them hurting performance, or making it hard to tune.

Thanks for reading my huge post. :D
By deschlong
#330857 Question: Can you install an ODBII cat on an ODBI car? I'm thinking specifically about the D16Y7 cat fitting on a D15Z1.
By Ajax1989
deschlong wrote:Question: Can you install an ODBII cat on an ODBI car? I'm thinking specifically about the D16Y7 cat fitting on a D15Z1.

yes you can.. I had a obdII cat on my eg, and the state of CA installed it at a gold shield smog shop(aka state ran)

and as for getting your car crushed in cali for bein cat-less is bullshit
they will give you a fix it ticket and send you you to a "REF" which is state ran, and they go over your whole emission devices with a fine tip comb.. and then they smog it..

this is what the cali guys have to go through when they swap there super hella jdm b series motors into there civic.. they get pulled over and have to go see a ref. most of em just swap back in to stock motor and get it writ off.. most wont do it legit cux they are lazy and most the parts are stolen and bought of CL

as for the crushing of the cars. that's if your cought with stolen parts and can prove you stole em.. that video of the 4 Hondas getting crushed, they got caught street racing and all of em where loaded with stolen parts
By kylenjdm93
#330930 ^ you have a point on the california car crushing stuff

ive been told and told agian about cars being crushed, perhaps they are using stolen parts, there are many shady shops in america.