B16, B18, B20
By flyinryan122
#52244 Did an Ls swap on my nieghbors 94 hatch for him, it's been about two months and last night the timing belt snapped. he wasnt runnin ANY covers over the timing belt, my guess is that had something to do with it.

Question= Is a B-series engine a non-interference engine? or do you think i should still pull the head and check the valves?
By indie2.0
#52305 had the same thing happen to me after my b16 swap. the shop that did the work said it could have been a bad belt. another shop said that the belt may have had to much tension on it. i think it was my tps it started to go out and was causing large jolts in my acceleration after a quick deceleration and acceleration. take a look a the cam gears are they mard up from something getting between the belt. also look at the belt break. is it a clean cut like something sharp sliced it or is it stretched out and ripped apart like it had to much force on it.
By asianrob
#52362 all honda engines are interference engines
By indie2.0
#52369 when it happend to me i bent the #1 and #3 intake valve and the #4 on the exhaust valves. try running a leak down test before you tear it all apart.
By flyinryan122
DC4rob wrote:all honda engines are interference engines

A friend of mine said D-series are non-interference engines? :?

-Edit=Nevermind, just reasearched more stuff. guess it's gettin torn apart.

Shit. The kid i did the swap for never paid up. Now his car is sitting here and he wants me to fix it. but no more free bees, and i really dont feel like pullin the head. UGH [smilie=BangHead.gif] [/quote]
By Gorveatt
#52405 just tell him you wont fix it till he pays up.

And interference engines is the 1 things i hate about Honda's, my old Corolla's timing belt flew into a million pieces was going 120km down the highway, engine shut off, had it towed to a shop, they said that when the pulled the timing cover it was nothing but pieces, slapped a new one on set the timing and was good to go
By B18cDelSlo
#52409 I agree with Gorveatt, don't even look at it without him paying for you the other job.

and yes interference engines suck, but only when a belt breaks ha, which is why I change the belt and all components ASAP. especially if you are unsure of mileage.

Hell I bought my 2000 civic si that had 100k on it, timing belt service was done at 80k miles, but since I had no way of knowing I did it again anyway and used honda parts.
By indie2.0
#52513 do a leak down test maybe you got lucky and there are no damaged valves
By flyinryan122
#52550 lol he's a cheap ass. plus he doesnt have a job. he has his gf pay for everything.

I'll be doin the leak down test early next week. but after talkin to the kid today it probably wont turn up with very good results. he was beatin on it and had it up in the revs going into third gear. so we'll see.