B16, B18, B20
By iLLson
boomdiggity86 wrote: I'm just trying to get an idea for a 375 to 400hp motor that's would be reliable for a dd

you should just throw the words reliability and daily driver out the window.

i call bs to anyone that says that they daily drive a 400whp and its reliable

you CAN NOT take a 100whp car and modify it to quadruple the power output without risking reliability .
i dont care what anyone says...it just wont happen.

if you MUST have 400whp car, get yoru self a daily driver.

if you MUST daily drive this car, you gotta be more realistic.. i wouldnt even want to daily drive it with 275whp
a realistic goal for a daily driver for me would be be maximum 250whp.

turbos run hot. there is too much plumbing going on.
any boost spikes and boom...there goes your motor.

maintenance becomes more frequent...and your eyes have to be glues to the temp and oil pressure.

*to answer your question tho.....
at your power goals, it doesnt really matter anymore if its a b18b motor or a b18c.
vtec no longer matters since your tune will smoothen out the powerband
stick with what you have. build the LS. have fun and good luck
By HeikDiesel
#355785 I took my 300whp civic on 1000+ mile road trips. I would have driven it across the nation without a worry. Have to had a turbocharged car illson? The problem is most people don't tune them properly do do the correct maintenance. There's always going to be more wear and tear with modifications, but I wouldn't have an issue saying with confidence I could build a 400whp LS and daily drive it for 50K+ miles
By iLLson
#355787 yes. i have had 2 turbo d16s, 1 turbo b18c and 1 turbo b18b

the b18 turbos i have had were untuned, and didnt keep the turbo long enough to really tune it

the 2 d16s were tuned at DSR in san jose.

i would hate to run high hp turbo car as a daily. i wold become paranoid for anything after a 300mi drive straight

I am envious for those that take their cars for 1000+ mile drives.
the farthest i have driven witha turbo car will be from sf->la. approx 370 miles.

the 2 d16 turbos that i have had were conservative tunes.
the d16y8 was at 194whp 187tq
the d16y7 was at 182whp 166tq

i wish you the best of luck

im not hating in any way possible.
i just want you to have a good daily driver if that is what you are after.
i just dont wanna see another post with the topic "rebuild"
By suspendedHatch
iLLson wrote:at your power goals, it doesnt really matter anymore if its a b18b motor or a b18c.
vtec no longer matters since your tune will smoothen out the powerband
stick with what you have. build the LS. have fun and good luck

Was going to respond and correct some of the bad advice, but this guy nailed it.
By suspendedHatch
#357406 If Subaru, Audi, Volkswagen etc can put out 4 cylinder turbocharged engines making 300hp reliably then you should be able to do the same with a modified NA Honda engine. Especially since Honda beats out all other brands in terms of reliability. I had an STi, and granted, it was 2.5 liters- but still... No boost, water temp and oil pressure gauges on that car (from the factory). If that POS engine with a janky ass, bolt-up-kit-looking turbo set up can get to 150,000 miles no problem - completely whooped on it's whole life - but you can't go a couple years on your turbo Honda, then you need to reevaluate your build.

Don't cut corners.
Don't rig things together.
Don't drive stupid.
Find a good tuner.
Pay the tuner what he's worth.

100hp? So D series? If your goal is 400 then hopefully you're choosing a better starting point than that.