B16, B18, B20
By cleanb18eg
#330970 What tranny do you guys recommend for a b18c gsr jdm motor? I plan on boosting the motor in the near future so I'm looking for a tranny that has long gears because I fly thru the gears on the s80 that's installed in it right now. Not too familiar with transmisions so I need to know what will bolt right up to the b18c and what's durable enough to handle about 8-10 lbs of boost.

I've been looking around on the site for a while and have not ran across this question.

Thanks in advance.
By cleanb18eg
#330971 Did I mention it's still going to be my dd?

Also, how much will a different tranny impact the torque?

A model number or code would be nice so I don't get screwed buying a used one.

Thanks in advance.
By asianrob
#330973 the standard GSR trans is fine. or a B16 with an LS 5th gear is good or i heard people using the LS final drive? i think it would be the same i could be wrong tho.

but GSR should be fine
By HeikDiesel
#330981 The LS final would affect all gears, where as the LS 5th would only change the ratio of 5th
By JUICE
#330997 You'll be fine. I ran a boosted 7200 rpm limit LS on a 4.785 ITR diff for a couple years.. talk about some short gears. Hahaha
By cleanb18eg
#331011 Thanks guys. Reason I asked is becauseI had a 6th gen accord and I loved the long gears from the f23. Just thought longer gears were better when boosting.
By brandoff88
#331016 from what I have read you really only NEED longer gears with a BIG turbo to allow it to build full boost, but anything smaller or around the size of say a standard evo or subi turbo shouldn't be an issue.
By suspendedHatch
#331055 This bad info keeps getting repeated and it needs to die. While it is true in very general terms that too short of gears would put you out of the power band of a turbo, when you are talking about OEM transmissions, it is always better to get the shortest gearing you can get your hands on.

A B16 or Type R trans is your best bet whether you're turbo or not. The shorter gearing means quicker acceleration and the equivalent of free horsepower. GSR is a good bang for buck. Importing a GSR or B16 trans for the optional LSD isn't worth it... the only OEM LSD worth a damn is the ITR.

The 98+ JDM Type R has the shortest final gear, but they're in high demand and you're probably better off getting aftermarket gears from a company like MFactory.

The B16, GSR, and Type R 5th gears are annoyingly short for a daily driver and you'd do well to swap in a LS 5th gear. You need the main and the counter.
By cleanb18eg
#331056 I have the s80 tranny. Do you recommend replacing the 5th gear with the ls or leaving it alone? Your post recommends both.
By bradleyg
#331093 It all depends what you plan on doing with the car and what you want.
Is the car going to be used for road race, or drag, or daily, etc.

No matter what you do it's going to be a sacrifice in one way.
For my road course car I am going to do an aftermarket 4.9 Final drive and Quaife 2-way LSD. This setup is great for the track but would not be ideal for daily driving because it will put the engine at very high rpm at freeway speed. The benefit to this is the quick acceleration that comes from the shorter gearing which is ideal for exiting corners on the road course.
By HeikDiesel
suspendedHatch wrote:This bad info keeps getting repeated and it needs to die. While it is true in very general terms that too short of gears would put you out of the power band of a turbo, when you are talking about OEM transmissions, it is always better to get the shortest gearing you can get your hands on.

I don't agree with this at all. Gear ratios are power specific and also why Mfactory makes a longer first gear. People with high power cars need a longer first gear to get that power down
By cleanb18eg
#331122 I have the s80 lsd tranny right know and I love it. However when I add fi (turbo) to the car I think the gearing will be a little short not allowing me to hook right away. I guess ill see when I get to that point.
By suspendedHatch
HeikDiesel wrote:I don't agree with this at all. Gear ratios are power specific and also why Mfactory makes a longer first gear. People with high power cars need a longer first gear to get that power down

Sure but I said OEM transmissions. All the OEM trans have the same 1st gear. The MFactory 1st is for a pretty serious build. At that point you can swap all the gears and so my post would be irrelevant.

cleanb18eg wrote:I have the s80 tranny. Do you recommend replacing the 5th gear with the ls or leaving it alone? Your post recommends both.

If I said both I meant to say that you should swap the 5th on a GSR or B16/Type R for any car you plan to take on the freeway for any period of time. (I'm not suggesting the B16 and Type R are the same trans, only that they have the same gearing.)
By cleanb18eg
suspendedHatch wrote:
HeikDiesel wrote:I don't agree with this at all. Gear ratios are power specific and also why Mfactory makes a longer first gear. People with high power cars need a longer first gear to get that power down

Sure but I said OEM transmissions. All the OEM trans have the same 1st gear. The MFactory 1st is for a pretty serious build. At that point you can swap all the gears and so my post would be irrelevant.

cleanb18eg wrote:I have the s80 tranny. Do you recommend replacing the 5th gear with the ls or leaving it alone? Your post recommends both.

If I said both I meant to say that you should swap the 5th on a GSR or B16/Type R for any car you plan to take on the freeway for any period of time. (I'm not suggesting the B16 and Type R are the same trans, only that they have the same gearing.)

Ok. Well it is my dd and I take it on the freeway almost everyday.
Thanks

Anybody else think otherwise?