B16, B18, B20
By fitimio
#323497 Im in the process of fixing my ugly, improperly torqued, mix-matched exhaust studs/bolts, that is probably leaking. :(

As you can see there were 2 studs and the rest were bolts... I was able to remove the studs, and all the bolts. But there is one broken into the block( car came like this...) Im not sure if its a stud or a bolt (really hoping stud was broken in there). I was thinking about welding a nut onto it and try to remove it( I would have to buy a welder, also never welded before, would jb weld work?). What do you guys think? I was also thinking about putting some jbweld where those cut marks on the block are, or do you guys think those marks should not effect the seal? :?

Also what should I torque the nuts to with my new studs? I saw a bunch of posts online and they were all over the place (from 26ft/lb to 37ft/lb).

Arrgghhhh, fixing somebody's half assed job sucks... :( But I want my baby to be perfect. :P Also I was thinking about removing some of the carbon deposit on the exhust ports( not port matching or anything, just clean and light polish), is this ok? :?

Thanks ahead of time guys, any help is greatly appriciated! :thumb:
By Apexracing
#323502 Its perfectly stock to have studs and bolts. Just take a look at the diagram on the honda parts search. But as for the broken bolt. try an easy out.
By HeikDiesel
#323503 Good lord someone jacked that up. Use a center punch to drill a hole in the center of that and ez out the remainder. Id use a file to knock down the high areas on that head and don't mess with the carbon its fine
By fitimio
HeikDiesel wrote:Good lord someone jacked that up. Use a center punch to drill a hole in the center of that and ez out the remainder. Id use a file to knock down the high areas on that head and don't mess with the carbon its fine

Should I try using a left handed drill bit to make the hole? (is this possible, I have absolutely no experience with this). Or just use a regular bit to make the hole?

Should I use this technique? Any tips for a first timer, or things to watch out for?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMrDYJvY0Ts
By fitimio
Apexracing wrote:Its perfectly stock to have studs and bolts. Just take a look at the diagram on the honda parts search. But as for the broken bolt. try an easy out.

Ohh I didn't know that.
By HeikDiesel
#323519 Yeah I'd use what he uses in that video. It is probably not going to come out as easy as his did but you may get lucky. Just make sure you don't punch through the bolt with the drill and actually drill the head that would be bad. If you are unable to drill the center of that you may have to use a Dremel to make the surface flat and easier to drill right in the center
By nd1983
#323526 if you have no experience i'd suggest taking it to a shop. because if you mess it up you'd need a whole new head.

remove the head and take it to a small machine shop or someplace that does milling and get them to remove it. the cost of that will cost you less for parts and tools to remove it yourself and worse cast all of those tools and a new head.
By fitimio
nd1983 wrote:if you have no experience i'd suggest taking it to a shop. because if you mess it up you'd need a whole new head.

remove the head and take it to a small machine shop or someplace that does milling and get them to remove it. the cost of that will cost you less for parts and tools to remove it yourself and worse cast all of those tools and a new head.

Challenge accepted! Im ganna try it. Im have a lot of experience with drills, and i am patient. ill keep you guys updated. But you are eight i do have no experience with this.