B16, B18, B20
By Moez_cx
#313721 my b16 blew on me and i just sourced me a gsr for a great price. my question is my friend said that i could run the p30 ecu since im using a skunk2 manifold and essential running rich with no cat will make it balance the leaness of the ecu work to the point i canf find a p28. also i have a obd1 wiring harness and my gsr is obd2 the seller said all i have to do is swap dizzy and alternators and ill be good???
By chrono404
#313767 a p30 b16 ecu will run a b18c GSR. However it will not run it correctly. It will ultimality run lean and give your new GSR Rod knock then eventually blow your bottom end.

Take your p30 ecu to any honda tuning shop and have a p72 basemap put onto it. you wont have support for the secondarys but that wont be a problem since you have a skunk 2 intake manifold.

Also, Remember that your b16 skunk2 intake manifold WILL NOT fit onto the p72 GSR head. The bolt layout is different and it will not bolt on. Also the B18c head will deter detanation and should be kept. going with a "poor-mans type-r" will loose compression and cause you to be slower if you dont swap out pistons.

In short if your to lazy to read the above.
-Get the GSR engine
-take your ecu to a tuning shop and have a GSR or p72 basemap loaded onto it.
-Make sure you have a 94+ gsr (p72 cast) skunk2 intake manifold as your b16 will not fit
-DO NOT go Poor mans type-r

Good luck. :thumb:
By chris_barnes
#313855 @Moez_cx - what does "my b16 blew on me" mean? Did you blow a gasket, melt a piston or one of the rods came out of the block to see how the tarmac is?
Have you inspected the damage? What is the point of buying a whole engine, if you can just go with a set of pistons for example?

@chrono404 - why not go Poorman's r?

chrono404 told you a lot of valid stuff. You CAN control the secondaries with your ECU but you need to have it re-done to P72 (relatively easy if you can solder and have the right elements).

Using basemaps is just for a break-in if you have changed pistonrings, pistons etc. Have your car tuned to get the max of it.
By bks84
chrono404 wrote:a p30 b16 ecu will run a b18c GSR. However it will not run it correctly. It will ultimality run lean and give your new GSR Rod knock then eventually blow your bottom end.

thats a bit of a stretch, isnt it? running lean causes rod bearings to fail? i think running lean would cause a motor to melt down, like the pistons, before rod bearings failed.

also, theres no real reason not to use your B16 head on your GSR block. I did, made the same power as a STOCK GSR did using a P72 basemap as a starting point.

if theres an issue with your GSR head and its the only way to get running.

lastly, you dont have to run to a dyno and get tuned, you can have it tuned on the street.
By Moez_cx
#314130 it really didnt " blow" lol but i culdnt drive so in my mind it blew but heres the story. when i got the car ( b16 already installed) the person told me the car was mechanically sound and it was tuned for the engine (p30) . so i drive a year around with no problems and than i began to start having horrible drivabillity problems the car shuts off it makes horrible noises start burning oil a lot so me and my friends conclude it was bad piston rings in cylinder 3 so i buy the necessary parts to rebuild the engine ( i didnt take it apart just a compression test before buying the parts stupid decission) so when i took the engine all apart i see some black residue that didnt look carbon build up so i showed to my nieghbor who is a mechanic he said it looks like somebody WELDED the piston together and it failed on you. cylinder 3 was completly destroyed so it need to be bored out the valves where destroyed i took the oil pan to check for damage and all i see is metal flakes in the oil pan and in the pick tube so ultimately i was sold a lemon. it was so bad when my friend took the old block to lincoln tech to fully dissamble it the casting from cylinder 2&3 fell apart around the piston ring :x so i threw out the engine and picked up a rebuilt gsr which i just installed drives great no idle knock wat so ever .

i bought a chipping kit from pherable.net so im waiting for it to come in the mail and i heard since im not running a cat and also since im running a bigger mani( skunk2 gsr mani) i wont be running that lean if any since i would dumping more fuel from that already? im only running the p30 until get the chip