B16, B18, B20
By bradleyg
#304579 Hey guys looking to get some help with my B18C.
First I'll explain the problem: While driving everything will be fine until about 2800rpm and then it will suddenly jump up to like 3300 and do a sputter/bog type thing. Then again at about 3800rpm it will do it again and jump to about 4300rpm and the tach goes all crazy and goes back and forth and then it sputters along with it. and sometimes it will do it throughout other parts of the powerband.

So far I have replaced the cap and rotor and I noticed that there was no screw holding the rotor on. I was wondering if this would cause issues.

Aside from that i really don't know where to start. I would really appreciate any tips because this problem is really bugging me and seems to just be getting worse as time goes on. :x

Thanks in advance

EDIT: Forgot to mention that it idles strong at 1000rpm, and I was thinking maybe the whole distributor needs replacement. Don't want to spend the money if I don't need to though. I was also thinking maybe it could be injectors or fuel filter but I don't know if that would cause the Tach to go crazy. The car only sputters when the tach starts to act up. other than that it's strong.
Last edited by bradleyg on Fri May 11, 2012 4:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
By bradleyg
#304580 I tried to take a video of it on my way home from work.

Here it is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebEsKHzoYHw

I forgot to mention that it doesn't happen all the time, sometimes worse than others. I apologize for the video not being the best but maybe you can see a bit what happens if you watch.
By ekracer98
#304819 its most likely a ignition control modual its inside the distributor.
i hadt hat same prob.. some dizzys theres two tiny screws that are on out side that hold it in. might have to take them out