B16, B18, B20
By mckiller111
#299727 ok, there is so much debate on the "LS/Vtec" but heres my experience.......
GET THE LIGHTEST FLYWHEEL POSIBLE! use a type r basemap, a bottle of LUCAS oil stabilizer with every oil change and you should be fine. after building 3 of them the light flywheel seems to be the key. the last one i built so far has over 30,000 miles on the build and the block had over 100,000 miles on it when the head was swapped. the 6 puck clutch may be a bit questionable as far as longevity, the rods and oil pump might eventually fail prematurely from being "shocked" by the clutch. its better to replace more clutches than motors! lol! im sure i will be debated on this but in my experience this setup has worked every time. good luck
By Twzd_6
bks84 wrote:
suspendedHatch wrote:Why are you going VTEC if you're going to boost it? That's a wasted effort.

Get an ITR trans, AEM EMS, pay for some good tuning. Don't make the mistake of lowering the compression for safety. Get it tuned properly instead.

Wasted effort, how so?

AEM EMS, huh? He just said he used cast ITR pistons because a forged piston costs more. So, why would you suggest an EMS system that is nearly a grand? Sure you can find em used, but read a lil further.

Don't choose an EMS based on what some random guy on a forum tells you to use. Choose an EMS based on what your local tuner knows. If he prefers Hondata, use Hondata. There's no reason to spend $X on an EMS if your tuner doesnt like it, or cant use it.

Just food for thought.

I got a good tuner in my area they prefer Hondata all day so I will be going with that. Thanks Bruh!
By Twzd_6
Hatch-O-Doom wrote:Tunning is KEY!

Also My tuner told me to go Vtec on my boosted B20.. So I dont see whats bad about it...

and EMS is okay, but you do have to have someone who knows it, I had a friend buy one, and no one could tune it... so it just sits. :thumbdown:

I don't know whats bad about it either, this is what i was talking about ppl say stay the f*7K away from this or and some say go for it.. but hearing it here..i'll just keep my goal with the ls/vtec boost :D :thumb: