B16, B18, B20
By kapow
Leppy wrote:
kapow wrote:I don't see how a D series airbox can affect fuel economy? Thats how they came out from the factory

Factory isn't always best, lol. It's designed to reduce noise level and be driven by everyone. 2.5 inch exhaust and not enough smooth air flow coming in makes a poor fuel mixture in my experience. I'm pretty sure it's way to restrictive to give enough air for 93 octane and 8000 RPM's. I get 27 MPG mixed as it sits.

experience is 4 years working as a Tech at Honda, in case you're curious. Doesn't make me an expert by any means, though lol.

Ah true. But all of Spoon tuned cars i've seen still have the airbox intact, with a cold air feed. I always thought the pod style filter sucks in hot engine bay air reducing fuel economy
By Leppy
kapow wrote:
Leppy wrote:
kapow wrote:I don't see how a D series airbox can affect fuel economy? Thats how they came out from the factory

Factory isn't always best, lol. It's designed to reduce noise level and be driven by everyone. 2.5 inch exhaust and not enough smooth air flow coming in makes a poor fuel mixture in my experience. I'm pretty sure it's way to restrictive to give enough air for 93 octane and 8000 RPM's. I get 27 MPG mixed as it sits.

experience is 4 years working as a Tech at Honda, in case you're curious. Doesn't make me an expert by any means, though lol.

Ah true. But all of Spoon tuned cars i've seen still have the airbox intact, with a cold air feed. I always thought the pod style filter sucks in hot engine bay air reducing fuel economy

But if i remember right the spoon boxes are much larger and more free flowing than the DX box. They aren't the same dimensions and the spoon box is designed to pull in air from the stock location and keep some in reserve in the chamber for throttle response. And your right about the hot air but that depends on where you put the filter too. You can position it for colder air before the engine heat and tricks like high temp enamal coatings on the pipe counteract the hot air.
By jred
#268099 ^^ Very nice ......whats makes it all the more cooler he has the same wheels as i do...wedsport tc-05 are the best :woot: :woot:
By Leppy
#268177 ARGH! I'm so annoyed now. Out of sheer curiousity i pulled off the stock DX D-series air box from my B18C to look and discovered I need to replace it, like tomorrow. One key factor my buddy forgot to look at was the fact that the throttle body is BIGGER on the B series, and he wedged the factory D-series intake tube on. and now it's got an inch and a half split parallel to the tube where it mates. I got a temp fix on it now and had the clean dirt out of the chamber and valve. SO there might be more beauty shots of her soon, with a fresh high-temp coated open filter intake. lol
By RWMIII
Leppy wrote:ARGH! I'm so annoyed now. Out of sheer curiousity i pulled off the stock DX D-series air box from my B18C to look and discovered I need to replace it, like tomorrow. One key factor my buddy forgot to look at was the fact that the throttle body is BIGGER on the B series, and he wedged the factory D-series intake tube on. and now it's got an inch and a half split parallel to the tube where it mates. I got a temp fix on it now and had the clean dirt out of the chamber and valve. SO there might be more beauty shots of her soon, with a fresh high-temp coated open filter intake. lol

well there is your mpg perp. Surprised you didnt have any other driveability issues.
By Leppy
RWMIII wrote:
Leppy wrote:ARGH! I'm so annoyed now. Out of sheer curiousity i pulled off the stock DX D-series air box from my B18C to look and discovered I need to replace it, like tomorrow. One key factor my buddy forgot to look at was the fact that the throttle body is BIGGER on the B series, and he wedged the factory D-series intake tube on. and now it's got an inch and a half split parallel to the tube where it mates. I got a temp fix on it now and had the clean dirt out of the chamber and valve. SO there might be more beauty shots of her soon, with a fresh high-temp coated open filter intake. lol

well there is your mpg perp. Surprised you didnt have any other driveability issues.

You ain't joking lol. Was about 1 1/4 quarts low on oil too, but no leaks. I know a quart lost is within spec between oil changes on a B so i'm not as worried, but i think i'm gonna give the engine a complete once over this weekend. And I found out it's a JDM GSR/SIR-G motor due to the intake mani being flip-flopped. See, even old guys learn something new each day.
By RWMIII
Leppy wrote:Image
And I found out it's a JDM GSR/SIR-G motor due to the intake mani being flip-flopped.

what do you mean flip-flopped? I do not believe that there were any differences between USDM and JDM GSR intake manifolds, they look flip-flopped due to the 2 stage intake. :thumb:

here is a pic of a USDM Manifold:

Image[/img]
By JUICE
#268208 ^^ he knows it's a JDM motor..

Leppy wrote:Figured I'd share mine. JDM B18C and LSD tranny.

and just learned it's the JDM version of our gsr..

get it together man!
By RWMIII
JUICE wrote:^^ he knows it's a JDM motor..

and just learned it's the JDM version of our gsr..

get it together man!

it's together man!! I swear!!

He statement was:

And I found out it's a JDM GSR/SIR-G motor due to the intake mani being flip-flopped

That doesnt denote a JDM motor, unless I'm wrong. Shed some light for me :?

I was just trying to clarify that the GSR manis are the same in all markets, thats all :thumb:
By Leppy
#268245 LOL. I knew it was JDM and B18C, i just didn't know if it was GSR spec or Type-R spec yet. after some digging, that's when i found out because of the intake mani being 'upside down.' I always figured it was GSR because of the black valve cover, but had to confirm it.
By RWMIII
JUICE wrote:^ on page 20 he says..

I believe we have a misunderstanding. Lol. I wasn't arguing that he has a jdm spec motor. I was just explaining that the gsr mani is the same on both usdm and jdm. Was just clarifying for him :thumb:
By Gustavo
#268687 Image