F20, F22, F23
By 99cx
#183011 Okay since theres now a F-Series Section there will probably be more interest in these engines.

This is my attempt to gather all the information around the web and put it all into a nice, easy how to. It will be continuously updated and added to.

I have not swapped one of these myself in a civic but i plan on it.
so this itself will be intrusions for my own swap.

SO why go F-Series?

pro.s
more TQ than any B or D series
& more HP than a D or a LS swap.
less expense the a B or H swap
we probley have about a 1000 into this project so far (thats including the car)
low compression
iron sleeves

con's
not as much aftermarket support .
no info on how to do the swap.
all u can find is (it's the same as a h22 swap) witch is bullshit. but thats honda-tech for ya lol
a lil bet more weight

What is F2b? its an honda accord engine and adapting a integra or civic si transmission.. The F is the engine code for the accord year letting you know what year accord engine you can use. The 2 stand for to... ok... The B is the code for integra or civic that comes with b-series engine ex: b18b1 is from integra Ls, b18c1 integra gsr, b16a2 civic si but all b-series transmission is the same so engine code doesn't matter here except that its from a b-series.

Obviously you will need the common stuff for any swap:
tranny, with linkage and shifter (94+)
starter
H-Series mounts
injectors
ECU
Wiring harness

Axles, they say integra ones but im not sure?

Now you can use an H22 tranny which most people do, or a B16 tranny and adapter plate.

best thing you can do is buy a complete accord swap

for computer ull want to get a jumper harness and preferbly a p28,p30,p0a ecu to chip/burn for your car

if you do alot of shopping around you should be able to do it all under 500

Im still learning as i go along so any more info feel free to add

Sources: http://www.honda-tech.com
http://board.accordtuner.com
:D
By Trang
#183028 You forgot "has a stock blue valve cover" for pros. Some good info :)
By 99cx
#183032 haha true

Con: when you try searching, you get alot of results about a F22 fighter get... :P
By chrono404
#183040 The F22B You can bolt the H22A DOHC VTEC head onto the block. You can't do this on the F22A.

The F22A/B Non-vtec heads are the highest flowing head honda has ever made.

Since they are low compression and have the iron cylinder walls they are really good for boosting.

You can Source an ECU from an 90-93 Accord. They are all OBD-1. I am not sure about the 94-97's I would imagine the 94-95's are, however not 100%.

For the Axles, you can use Integra Axles however some people claim they pop out, If you swap the inner cv boots for an accord axle(1/8" longer) they will work just fine.

Doing a F22 swap into a EG is just like doing a H22 Swap. With the exception of having to wire VTEC, or Knock Sensors.

Another Con to the F Series swap is since you have to use H Series mounts the engine will be angled so alot of the mass is infront of the shock towers, Thus making you have worse Understeer. Going this route is not good for anyone into Touge Runs, Auto Cross, or the sort.

A Good source of Info on F22's is CB7Tuner.com. They are all about the 90-93 Accord like we are about the 92-95 Civic. However they have TONS of info on the F And H Series Engines. They also have topics discoursing do the "G Series Hybrid" (F Series block, h22 head, K pistons, etc)

Another pro is when you race a Honda Noob, You can fool him into thinking you have a Non-Vtec D Series. :lol:

When I can think of more to add I will post it in here.
By 99cx
#183088 okay now there are SOHC and DOHC F-Series
* 1 SOHC engines
o 1.1 F18A
o 1.2 F18B
o 1.3 F20A
o 1.4 F20B
o 1.5 F20Z
o 1.6 F22A
o 1.7 F22B1
o 1.8 F22B2
o 1.9 F22Z2
o 1.10 F23A===F23A1
o 1.11 F23A4
o 1.12 F23A5
o 1.13 F23A7
* 2 DOHC engines
o 2.1 F20A
o 2.2 F20B
o 2.3 F20C
o 2.4 F22B

the H22 head will only bolt on to the DOHC F22B, Correct?
its easy to get confused with the SOHC F22B1/2
By TrailerTrash
#183101 some good reading right here. I have always pondered about this but as said before there aint a whole lot of info out there
By 99cx
#183104 yeah thats true.
and its more about doing something thats no one else is doing.
like a J swap, F swaps are rare. and thats what makes them appealing.
By boos-tit
#183168 i like the iron sleeves and the possibiity of an h22 head. im actually pretty interested in learning more about this :headbang: maybe ill hit up you tube
By chrono404
boos-tit wrote:i like the iron sleeves and the possibiity of an h22 head. im actually pretty interested in learning more about this :headbang: maybe ill hit up you tube

Why use an H22 head when the F22 non-vtec head flows better?

Save the money you would have spent on the H22 head and get a bisimoto F22 Non-vtec Cam. That will make more power and have better room for boost then Just throwing an h22 head on a f22b(basically making a "G" Series)
By 99cx
#183780 how about the F23 VTEC head? instead of the H22 and then upgrade those cams?
By chrono404
99cx wrote:how about the F23 VTEC head? instead of the H22 and then upgrade those cams?

Same head. Just like a B20b/z head is the same a B18b with different cams.

The F22 non-vtec head is the best flowing head honda has ever made, EVER. Even better then the K's.

Bisimoto Ran a 9.6Second 1/4 Mile race with a Built F22 Non-Vtec.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3EPuc9nI8A
Last edited by chrono404 on Fri Mar 26, 2010 1:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
By 99cx
#183784 wow, never new that.
wait are you saying the F23 Vtec is the same as the H22?
I thought the F23 is SOHC and H22 is DOHC?
By JUICE
99cx wrote:wow, never new that.

your confusing yourself... :lol:

G23's are a PITA. Just boost a F22 SOHC :thumb:
Last edited by JUICE on Fri Mar 26, 2010 2:12 am, edited 2 times in total.
By chrono404
99cx wrote:wow, never new that.

My bad, I thought you ment the H23. THe SOHC VTEC F Series head still isn't as good as the non-vtec head.